Basic Strategy Question

Hey guys. Brand new at BJ. I'm trying to get BS down so it's second nature before moving on to the next phase.
I know if I have 10, to let's say a dealer's 6, I would double down.
Here's the stupid question...
Does it still hold true if say I have a 2, 3 and then draw another 2, then a 3?
Do I still double down?

DSchles

Ray Finkle said:
Hey guys. Brand new at BJ. I'm trying to get BS down so it's second nature before moving on to the next phase.
I know if I have 10, to let's say a dealer's 6, I would double down.
Here's the stupid question...
Does it still hold true if say I have a 2, 3 and then draw another 2, then a 3?
Do I still double down?
You aren't allowed to! Doubling means receiving one more card to your original two-card hand or, if the rules permit, to your two-card hand after you have split a pair. Example: you split 8,8 and receive a 2 to one or both of the 8s. If the rules permit doubling after splitting (DAS), you may double your total of 10.

In the example you gave, of what we call a multi-card hand (of 10, in this case), you simply hit your 2,3,2,3 vs. 6.

Clear?

Don

Crystal clear!
Thank you Don.
On another note, I just bought your book. A bit advanced for me (picture a caveman finding a helicopter flight manual) but I'm working through it....
Thanks again!

DSchles

Ray Finkle said:
Crystal clear!
Thank you Don.
On another note, I just bought your book. A bit advanced for me (picture a caveman finding a helicopter flight manual) but I'm working through it....
Thanks again!
Yes, the book is not meant for newcomers, and it really is a bit advanced for you at the moment. So, perhaps keep it on the shelf until after you've gotten a bit more experience, and when you do get to it, go slowly. LOTS of material, so no rush.

Don

I'm reading through it slowly, knowing it's above me.
I figure when I'm further along, I'll re-read it and have a few "Ah. That's what he meant!" moments.

If you were going to start counting in 2022, what system would you choose?
I was thinking about REKO as a starting point.
Am I off base?

Ray Finkle said:
I'm reading through it slowly, knowing it's above me.
I figure when I'm further along, I'll re-read it and have a few "Ah. That's what he meant!" moments.

If you were going to start counting in 2022, what system would you choose?
I was thinking about REKO as a starting point.
Am I off base?
short answer=High-low
long answer=I would use High-Low. It's simple and effective. Translates well with most index plays, and if you ever were join a team, high-low is most common system used. There are more accurate and effective systems like high opt 2 for example. However you have consider mental fatigue and room for error with those systems. I know I wouldn't been able play 100 hours of high opt 2 as well I can with high low. After so many hours you get burnt out using complex count system, which could limit you on EV cause lack of hours. Where with high low, I can play much longer and even carry conversation. So while you think are gaining more with complex count system, you actually may be screwing yourself over longer period of time. If you are motivated for the very best and extract most EV, then play with high low for while. Then maybe when you're confident after hundreds of hours, try using high opt 2. Wish you best of luck on your journey into blackjack. :)