Camo vs. Equity? Also, counting when situation gets messy?

MrFatCat

Ended up in a small situation on my trip yesterday morning -- anybody have opinions about this?

New dealer taps in, asks my fiancée, who's sitting at actual third base and I'm sitting adjacent -- she has white chips for tips in front of her but nothing else, whether she's playing. She says no, he starts dealing, and he deals her circle a 2 (having dealt everybody but me number cards, I got a ten). The table starts objecting, but he continues dealing himself an 8, three of the other players get lousy totals of various sorts (one got a soft 15, all but one got stiffs so far, he hasn't yet gotten to me).

Eventually he realizes his error with three people yelling for him to hold up, and he calls over the pit boss and explains. Her initial reaction is that the hand's over, but I point out I have a ten vs. what should've been a 2 and that's not equitable to me (everyone else was okay with this having stiffs against an 8). She says for him to continue dealing the hand (at which point a few others start objecting), I get another ten for 20, and she now offers for everyone to pull it back. I obviously stay in, they back out, he flips 5-6 for 19, and I get paid.

First: I had my minbet out there during this, we're maybe 2.5 decks in and TC is a hair above 0. Is it worth defending my equity here? I assume I'm freerolling getting to see the second card -- obviously I could even have blackjack -- so I'm guessing I'm worth a few bucks worth of equity?

Second: Does this bring any heat on me? I wouldn't think so, I think it just makes me look like an abrasive gambler type which I don't really care one way or the other.

Three: I think I screwed up my count slightly when this all happened. I ended up deciding that everyone else's hand was a wash and that the overall hand was a wash (my two tens vs a dealer 5-6) since they all had stiffs, and just kept my previous total. If somebody had 2-3 though I'm a smidge undervaluing the rest of the shoe. How bad is this? How bad is estimating that a stiff is a balanced hand counting-wise?

Any other thoughts? If I'm going to screw up my count, should I dummy up regarding the equity of the $10, but presumably it's worth freerolling if I've got a maxbet out there? Thanks everybody.

This is not an uncommon offer from the pit crew in this situation. (I've even seen them make this offer on cruise ships). You've got no issue here. Any ploppy would object, probably much louder and than you did.