Question about advantage of first player's card vs dealer's up card

Zero

Encountered an unusual situation over the weekend. Guy at the table was finished for the night and was ready to leave. Instead of coloring up, he took his entire stack and bet it (double or nothing I guess). He then proceeded to get dealt two aces. Dealer had an 8. I think if I'd offered to partner up with him on the hand so he could split his aces, he would have accepted. But I didn't know the correct play so I just kept silent. I remember Semyon saying in his seminar that steering an A into your hand as your first card is worth 50% so I feel like partnering up on the split would have been an advantage play. Does anyone know if there's a book that has advantage charts of player's first card vs dealer's up card? There would also be the added consideration that a natural would only pay 1:1 after splitting the A's and you'd only get one card so no chance to hit again, so maybe the advantage would be even less than player T vs dealer 8.

Last edited:

DSchles

I don't know if you have BJA3 or not, but this is easy to answer by looking in the Appendix. You just go to the 6-deck game, against the dealer's upcard of 8, and go to split aces (one split only) to find the expectation of 36%. Since that's for both hands, owning one hand would give you an 18% edge.

Don

Zero

Thank you Don! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I have BJA but not BJA3, so I just ordered it from LVA. Gave me a good excuse to get Radical Blackjack while I was at it. Thanks again!

DSchles

Zero said:
Thank you Don! This is exactly the info I was looking for. I have BJA but not BJA3, so I just ordered it from LVA. Gave me a good excuse to get Radical Blackjack while I was at it. Thanks again!

Glad to help. You'll find a world of difference between the first and last editions of my book, so enjoy. You'll love Radical Blackjack too.

Don