Question about Red 7

I started looking at Red 7 as a way to count cards.

BlackJackInfo.Com, has a post from 2011 https://www.blackjackinfo.com/commun...indices.23690/ that says the following as posted by Renzey on October 20th, 2011.

Zen,
Beginning with the IRC, it is an arbitrary starting point. Arnold chose a zero running count to be his universal pivot (the point at which the RC is always equal to +2.0 TC) . That dictated that the IRC be -12 for the six deck shoe.
Then, keeping things super-simple, he made that same zero running count his Key Count, since +2.0 TC isn't a bad place to begin ramping up the bets. Remember, this count came out before KO, before UBZ and before KISS. It's key hallmark was simplicity as compared to the standard Hi/Lo balanced count. I'm sure nobody knew in 1982 that it would perform as well as it does.

Building on that same genre of counting method (level 1 count with a +2.0 TC pivot), two improvements seemed readily available.
The first would be to move the IRC forward to a positive number that would seldom if ever encounter negative running counts -- additional simplicity.
The second was the finding thru sims that a +2.0 TC is a little late to begin ramping up the bets. A plus 1.5 TC is just about ideal for that. With Red 7, a minus 1 RC (if beginning at -12), is indeed +1.5 TC with very little depth dependent error.
Hence, just move the IRC forward to positive 9, make your Key Count a nice round positive 20, and your constant pivot will be 21.
You can do this with Red 7 just as well as with KISS.

The article uses a 6 deck shoe as an example. For an 8 deck shoe, does a plus 1.5 true count still occur at a running count of - 1?

And if I wanted to move the IRC forward to a positive number for an 8 deck shoe, I could move it to +5 and have a pivot at 21?

MrFatCat

Red 7 is a balanced count, so the premise is that if you count out every card from the correct IRC, you would end up at 0 after having completed the entire shoe. As a result, the IRC for an 8-deck shoe is -16.

I can't necessarily answer your question as to where 1.5 TC lies for an 8-deck shoe and an IRC of -16 -- my guess is that if it's -1 for 6-deck/-12, then it's probably around -3 for 8-deck/-16, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I chimes in.

paymypush

MrFatCat said:
Red 7 is a balanced count, so the premise is that if you count out every card from the correct IRC, you would end up at 0 after having completed the entire shoe. As a result, the IRC for an 8-deck shoe is -16.

I can't necessarily answer your question as to where 1.5 TC lies for an 8-deck shoe and an IRC of -16 -- my guess is that if it's -1 for 6-deck/-12, then it's probably around -3 for 8-deck/-16, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I chimes in.
The Red 7 is an unbalanced count, not balanced. Count one deck to the end and the running count will be +2 if no mistakes were made. That's because the red sevens, or which two sevens you want, are counted as +1 while the other two are neutral.