Question.

ScottH

Let's say you're down to your last 15 dollars in chips, and the count requires a bet of 30. Do you buy in for more to make the bet or do you just bet the 15?

Now let's say you have 4 green chips and 1 red. The count says to bet 15, do you cash in a green to make the bet, or do you just bet the 5?

I'm just wondering because situations where I couldn't make the correct bet without buying in more or cashing in higher denomination chips has come up fairly often.

ScottH said:
Let's say you're down to your last 15 dollars in chips, and the count requires a bet of 30. Do you buy in for more to make the bet or do you just bet the 15?

Now let's say you have 4 green chips and 1 red. The count says to bet 15, do you cash in a green to make the bet, or do you just bet the 5?

I'm just wondering because situations where I couldn't make the correct bet without buying in more or cashing in higher denomination chips has come up fairly often.
Whatever you bet, you must be prepared to split or double. zg

ScottH

shadroch said:
What reasons would you have for not cashing in the green chip?The answer to that question should answer your original one.
Yeah, but it just seems so obvious doing that. I do cash in the chip to make the bet but it seems to me like a normal gambler wouldnt cash in a chip to bet 5 more dollars. If you had 2 red chips and needed to bet 15 you would have to cash a green chip to make the bet. The average person would just bet the 10. It probably only seems obvious to me since I count cards...

I pretty much knew the answer to the question, but I just wanted to see what people had to say.

ScottH

zengrifter said:
Whatever you bet, you must be prepared to split or double. zg
Being prepared for one split or double doesnt seem like enough. You could possibly go many splits and doubles. Does that mean I should have several max bets in cash ready just in case that situation arises?

Let's say the count is really high and I only have 1 max bet, do I play the hand? Even if I had 2 or 3 max bets it's quite possible I wouldn't be able to play basic strategy during the hand. One hand could potentially turn into 4, and they both could be doubled. So that means I should have 8 times whatever the amount I am betting before I should play the hand, right?

I guess I will just make sure to have plenty of money with me so I can always play perfectly.

Last edited:
ScottH said:
Being prepared for one split or double doesnt seem like enough. You could possibly go many splits and doubles. Does that mean I should have several max bets in cash ready just in case that situation arises?
No, but ideally your last bet if there is no more money coming out of pocket should be a 1/3 of what you got in case it turns into 3 hand double/split.

jimbiggs

ScottH said:
Depending on how closely the game was being monitored, I might buy in for more chips or I might just bet the $15. Then if you need to double down or split, the pit would expect you to go into your pocket for more cash.

ScottH said:
I would color down two green chips and bet $15, but I'm no expert. I don't think that would raise any eyebrows though.

Cass

ScottH said:
Let's say you're down to your last 15 dollars in chips, and the count requires a bet of 30. Do you buy in for more to make the bet or do you just bet the 15? .
How I would play it- Depends on my last few bets if they were 30 then yes i would buy in. If my previous two bets were $5 I would not cash in more money i would just bet $15.
ScottH said:
Now let's say you have 4 green chips and 1 red. The count says to bet 15, do you cash in a green to make the bet, or do you just bet the 5?.
I would just bet the green.