"Red chippers can't afford to play"

A Different Perspective
Posted By: MathProf
bj21

Often I have seen it said that "red chippers cannot afford to tip". I don't agree with that approach.

Let's face it, red chippers can't afford to play. If you look at all the expenses that are needed to play BJ, including travel expenses, books, software, etc, there is simply no way that a red chipper can make money on the game.

The fact is that red-chippers are playing for a hobby, and these other expenses are considered hobby expenses. Why not treat dealer tips the same way.

I don't see why someone would be willing to spend $100 to drive to a session worth $30 of EV, and accept $70 of net expenses, but then be unwilling to spend $5 tipping the dealers.

I do agree that you shouldn't over-tip. But throwing the dealers a red chip after sessions where you win $100 is not going to break you. Or betting a buck every now and then for the dealer, during a winning session.

I agree that you will make more money by not tipping. But you would also make more money working in McDonalds.

Re: "Red chippers can't afford ...IS WHY

This is why I recommend that smallBRs should be played as high RoR relenishible funds - its important to get to the $25u level ASAP. zg

Sonny

Re: "Red Chipper" disagrees

I agree with the Grifter in that any player wanting to "go pro" should definately try to get to the green chip level ASAP, but it's a different story for most of us Red Chippers.

I am a "recreational player", which means that I have a seperate BR that I use ONLY for blackjack. I don't use it for hotels, tipping, meals, or any other expenses. I save my "vacation funds" for that. This way my bankroll is free to grow as I win without being drained by expenses. If I hit a losing streak, I just refill my BR with a little overtime money from my job. This lets me play with a slightly higher ROR that most professionals would feel comfortable with, so getting the big bets out on such a small scale is no problem.

Most importatnly, my BR is NOT a savings account. If I lose it all, I am not financially ruined. It is simply "fun money" that I use to get free drinks and comps with. I don't play blackjack in order to earn money, I do it strictly to have fun while on vacation. I count cards in order to maximize my earning potential, which in turn maximizes the longevity of my play. Think of it as a "blackjack retirement account" if you will.

For these reasons, I believe that red chippers can easily stay in the game despite the relatively small earnings and tremendious fluctuations. In my case, Grifter was right in that I am a "hobby" player, but I believe that red chippers can still afford to play as long as they play appropriately.

-Sonny-

phantom007

Re: "Red Chipper" disagrees

If you are in BJ as a Business, then tipping should be treated like Taxes, none paid when possible, and the Minimum when you must...no business will survive long-term with expenses exceeding income (unless you are a major corporation, in which case you just print and sell more shares).

However, agree that "giving back" a % of profits can be done with minimal chance of ruin, especially if one includes comps and entertainment in the Win Column. Further, insurance is needed when you are in business...life, health, liability, work-comp, theft, errors & ommissions...etc., etc., etc.

Advantage Players need "Counter Insurance". When I have been caught counting, it is usually by the Dealer. In a recent trip, a Beginner asked the Dealer when she should take the Insurance Bet. Pointing to me, the Dealer said "Only when he does." But since my premium was paid-up, i.e., reasonable tipping, the game went on.

Coug Fan

Getting caught by a dealer

I know what you mean. Recently, a dealer made me as a counter. I insured a 20 and a stiff with my max bet out, and the dealer checked... green light. Then she looked at me and said, "no, I must have it". Sure enough, she slid it in again and the red light went on. Count tanked two hands later, I did not insure my (now one hand) of 20. I felt obliged to make the required "you can't have it two times in a row" comment, but she just smiled and said, "the odds don't look too good this time, do they."

The kicker came after the shuffle. I had pushed my chips out to color-up and had announced that I was leaving. She said "are you sure you want to do that. Look at this" and she proceeded to place the cut card at 90%+ pen (7.5/8). I did not feel comfortable "coming out of the closet" so I pretended to not know what she was talking about as I colored up and left.