Reporting from Palm Springs

JulieCA

I have to confess that many times over the last week, I broke down and stopped trying to count because I was so stressed out over it. IF I pay extra-special attention, I think I have the DD game counting okay. Up over 300 units on blackjack.

Don't tell me - I know - side bets are sucker bets. But it made the game more fun and half my play has been with the girlfriends and therefore we're just here having fun at the tables. The Spa in downtown PS has put in the Lucky Lucky side bet since I was there last. Hit 100:1 payout x2 and several 50:1 and 30:1. So far I'm ahead over $200 on the side bet. (Am I the only one at the table who keeps buy-in and winnings for the side bet separate from BJ buy-in and winnings because I'm OCD and want to know exactly what that side bet is REALLY costing/making me? Apparently, yes.) Had a crabby dealer tell me not to bet the side bet because the house has the advantage. I asked her to point out the game the DIDN'T have an advantage because that's what I wanted to play. Then I hit a 100:1 side bet payout and left her table.

And in some of my proudest moments, I put aside all I had been taught incorrectly and hit or doubled down A,7 correctly per BS. I think I sweat more at that than I did when I had 10 units on the table and it looked like the dealer was going to make his hand. Didn't work out every time, but more times than standing on it against dealer 9 or 10; made some chips doubling it down as per BS, as well. Doing this, as you know, will cause a ruckus from the rest of the table.

It kind of puts a dimmer in the fun to know that I'm just on an upswing, which will HAVE to end eventually. However, at the advice of the good folks on this board, I have maxed comps. I took the $40 cash play on the slots (which, if they never gave me the money to play them, I would never play) and turned it into actual $40 cash I could take to the BJ table. :cool:

One more day of sun and fun with the girls, then back home to husband, cats, housework and regular routine. And practicing counting.

Julie

JulieCA said:
I have to confess that many times over the last week, I broke down and stopped trying to count because I was so stressed out over it. IF I pay extra-special attention, I think I have the DD game counting okay. Up over 300 units on blackjack.

Don't tell me - I know - side bets are sucker bets. But it made the game more fun and half my play has been with the girlfriends and therefore we're just here having fun at the tables. The Spa in downtown PS has put in the Lucky Lucky side bet since I was there last. Hit 100:1 payout x2 and several 50:1 and 30:1. So far I'm ahead over $200 on the side bet. (Am I the only one at the table who keeps buy-in and winnings for the side bet separate from BJ buy-in and winnings because I'm OCD and want to know exactly what that side bet is REALLY costing/making me? Apparently, yes.) Had a crabby dealer tell me not to bet the side bet because the house has the advantage. I asked her to point out the game the DIDN'T have an advantage because that's what I wanted to play. Then I hit a 100:1 side bet payout and left her table.

And in some of my proudest moments, I put aside all I had been taught incorrectly and hit or doubled down A,7 correctly per BS. I think I sweat more at that than I did when I had 10 units on the table and it looked like the dealer was going to make his hand. Didn't work out every time, but more times than standing on it against dealer 9 or 10; made some chips doubling it down as per BS, as well. Doing this, as you know, will cause a ruckus from the rest of the table.

It kind of puts a dimmer in the fun to know that I'm just on an upswing, which will HAVE to end eventually. However, at the advice of the good folks on this board, I have maxed comps. I took the $40 cash play on the slots (which, if they never gave me the money to play them, I would never play) and turned it into actual $40 cash I could take to the BJ table. :cool:

One more day of sun and fun with the girls, then back home to husband, cats, housework and regular routine. And practicing counting.
I am glad you are having fun, thanks for the report.

CP

JulieCA said:
Don't tell me - I know - side bets are sucker bets. But it made the game more fun and half my play has been with the girlfriends and therefore we're just here having fun at the tables.
F**k that sh*t, Julie. And here I thought you were half-serious about the game! zg