Site Suggestion, Question.

Hello Mayor,

How about a glossary of blackjack terms on the website? Most of the books I own have them, but they're not very comprehensive because they're either specialized or dated. I've had to look up quite a few of the things the pros have posted over the past few months, and I've seen a couple of other post's asking for clarification on the jargon, too. Well, ok... one of them was mine.

Just an idea.

Also, It would make a great appendix if you were ever to publish a book. Sorry if I'm the 1001st person to ask you this, but do you have plans to publish a book? The essays you've posted look as if they were written with this in mind.

Thanks,
-Felix

The Mayor

Answers

I thought about a glossary of terms, but there is such a great glossary over at bj21.com, I would always recommend that one. I am not a great fan of reinventing the wheel. Here is the link:

(Dead link: http://64.71.133.211/glossary/)

As for a book, I really thought (twice) about writing a book, and even contacted a publisher who agreed to look at my material. However, after discussions with many in the field, it became clear that this would forever have to be an act of love. Even the best books only earn the author in the "hundreds" each year. Only "Beat the Dealer" made a fortune for its author. After coming to this realization, I just decided that I would make my writing available for free.

There were two reasons for the decision to take the "free" route. The first is that it will reach more people in the present format (I believe) than by book. The second is purely selfish. I do have those non-Christian motives from time to time. The power of name recognition gets one in a lot of doors that would otherwise not be open (e.g. political/media). Thus I make my work freely available to garner name recogniztion.

Take care,

--Mayor

Rob McGarvey

Re: Answers

Agree. And it is much easier to keep things up to date on the web than by pen to paper publishing. With my book I publish in short bursts which are sold off and the data in each publishing is updated. Some of the info I don't like to publish on the web simply because I don't want everyone to know about it, which may also be seen as selfish. Unless you have something out of the ordinary to publish re blackjack, you are reinventing the wheel as EJ has stated, but that does not mean people will not by the book. The wheel has improved if you haven't noticed. Used to look like a bicycle tire, now it is a 17" titanium low profile wide enough to squash an entire cat! ;>