Splitting 4's ?

I just ordered Vancura & Fuch's "Knock-Out BlackJack" from Amazon.com. On page 28 there's a BS table which tells me to *never* split my 4's.
However, according to the BS engine I should split against dealer 5 or 6.
What is the correct play?

Mikeaber

KenSmith said:
If double after split is allowed, splitting 4s vs dealer 5 or 6 is correct.
Ken, you should know better! I have heard it from countless authorities including dealers (who know EVERYTHING about Blackjack!) that "You NEVER SPLIT F's .... fours, fives, faces!" They instruct me EVERY time I do this! If I win...it's "You were lucky!" If I lose, it's "I told you so!" :laugh:

Gregory

I just ordered Vancura & Fuch's "Knock-Out BlackJack" from Amazon.com. On page 28 there's a BS table which tells me to *never* split my 4's.
If you read the bottom of page 30 in Knock-Out BlackJack you'll notice the following conditions which would indicate splitting the fours:

The rule to never split 4s assumes our generic basic strategy. In a DAS game, readers so inclined may additionally split a pair of 6s vs. a dealer 2, 4s vs. 5 or 6, and 2s and 3s vs. 2 or 3, the so-called DAS strategy.
I'm guessing there's just a difference in the assumption of if the game is DAS or not.

TENNBEAR

The Explaination

JimmyFortune said:
Knock-out Blackjack is a great read

When splitting 4's against the dealers upcard of 5 or 6 your goal is to get as much money out there as possible against the dealers weak card. Double-down and split combonations can increase your bet up to 8 fold. However if no double after splits are allowed, then you lose that advantage and need to play the hand as a 8, inwhich you would double-down on a 1 to 2 deck, game and just hit on a 6 deck shoe.