Strategy Variations

I was just reading some variations that I haven't been using while training. I have been practicing, or training, with the strategy engine. I have questions about some variations.
Using hi/lo,
Should you, hit 13 with a true count of -1 and less vs. 2, or 3?
12 2-6?

double 11 vs. Ace with +2 or higher count?
take insurance +3 or above, (I've been taking it +5 or above)?

And am I losing out big time by not implementing these variations?

Mikeaber

Basic Strategy

You would "not" double an eleven if the dealer is showing an Ace? All basic strategy I've seen says to always double on that unless you are playing multi-deck where the dealer stands on 17.

Maybe you are assuming some counting indexes or something. I could have misunderstood your post.

slayer said:
i don't know about the other stuff but never double when the dealer has an ace showing. and insurance is a sucker bet.

Last edited:

Sonny

GlenRuss said:
I was just reading some variations that I haven't been using while training. I have been practicing, or training, with the strategy engine. I have questions about some variations.
Using hi/lo,
Should you, hit 13 with a true count of -1 and less vs. 2, or 3?
12 2-6?

double 11 vs. Ace with +2 or higher count?
take insurance +3 or above, (I've been taking it +5 or above)?

And am I losing out big time by not implementing these variations?
You are giving up a lot by not taking insurance. That is the most important strategy deviation there is. It accounts for about 33% of the advantage you can get from strategy deviations. The next most important ones are 16v10 and 15v10.

The others that you mention are all part of the Illustrious 18, which are the 18 most valuable plays you will learn. Not only do they increase your EV but they can reduce your variance as well. That means you will be making more money with less risk. That is the goal of the game, isn't it? :)

-Sonny-