Tip the dealer?

ScottH

I'm just wondering if any of you professional counters ever tip the dealer. With such a small advantage it doesn't seem like a great idea. I'm just wondering what the etiquette is on this issue, and if any pro actually does tip, and how much if you do.

ScottH said:
I'm just wondering if any of you professional counters ever tip the dealer. With such a small advantage it doesn't seem like a great idea. I'm just wondering what the etiquette is on this issue, and if any pro actually does tip, and how much if you do.
As little as practical. zg

TENNBEAR

Tip the dealer

ScottH said:
On a red chip tables I will tip the dealer 2.00 every 45 min or so, and will give 5.00 when I color up if I have won. Tips at the low limit tables will win you favors from the dealers as they are not watched as closly as higher limit tables. If I do not win they get 2.00 only when I color-up if they are lucky. On green and black chip tables they get tipped only when I color-up based strickly on how I did, unless I get one of those increadable runs that we rarely get to see. I always tip win or lose but very careful not to overtip and keep all my tipping in check, it can add-up to a lot in a coarse of a weekend. For tips other than dealers I get 20 one dollar bills, at a time and keep them in my wallet, All drinks, resturants, parking valet, ect. I will always have correct amount to tip, and know exactly how much I have given out in tips over the coarse of my trip.

Sonny

Tipping budget

It all depends on the dealer. If I think they are a good dealer (can deal very fast, are friendly, don’t bring any attention to me from the pit, deal deeply, etc.) then I will always tip them. However, you are right that it cuts into your profits, sometimes quite a bit. If your EV is $20 per hour and you tip $2 per hour and $5 when you color up then your EV has been reduced to $13, a full 35% decrease!

What I do is keep a separate bankroll for tipping. I am not a full-time player so I have a job that pays me every week. When I go on a gambling trip I will bring a portion of my bankroll for playing and a small extra bankroll for tips and expenses. Maybe I’ll put in an hour or two of overtime in order to cover the expenses of the trip. I consider tipping to be an occupational expense so it comes out of my pocket, not my bankroll. That allows me to tip the good dealers without eating up my bankroll.

I am still giving up the same amount of money, it is just coming from a different place.

-Sonny-