Tournaments and Counting

I am reading Ken Einiger's book on tournament blackjack. He states that he is not a card counter. Taking this for the truth (there are obviously monetary reasons to lie), does card counting help in tournaments? He won the WSOBJ and doesn't count. I already count, so that isn't the issue. I am just looking for another perspective on tournaments, of which I have not yet participated.

Max

MadMax said:
I am reading Ken Einiger's book on tournament blackjack. He states that he is not a card counter. Taking this for the truth (there are obviously monetary reasons to lie), does card counting help in tournaments?
Counting is of negligible value in tourneys. Ken, our resident tourney authority, could provide some addt'l insight on this. zg

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
zg is right. Counting is a very small benefit in tournaments. I usually do count, but with 5 or 10 hands to go, I stop that entirely. In the recent UBT events (coming soon on TV hopefully), I didn't count a single card during any of the rounds. I was far too busy with other concerns to waste effort on counting.

There is a huge amount of tournament discussion at the sister site to BlackjackInfo:
https://www.blackjacktournaments.com/