True-Count converions.

ScottH said:
How accurate do I have to be with my deck estimation in different games?
With 4-8D remaining divide by closest full deck
With 1.5-3.5D remaining divide by closest 1/2D
With .25-1.25D remaining divide by closest 1/4D zg

ScottH

zengrifter said:
With 4-8D remaining divide by closest full deck
With 1.5-3.5D remaining divide by closest 1/2D
With .25-1.25D remaining divide by closest 1/4D zg
Do you actually do the math, or do you just know what the TC is from doing it so many times?

Sonny

ScottH said:
How accurate do I have to be with my deck estimation in different games?
You can be as accurate as you want. Just make sure that your betting strategy and playing strategy is based on that same method of TC calculation. If your sims for EV and SD are based on full-deck TC conversions (as well as your indices) and you are using something other than full-deck resolution, your real-world results may not correlate. Just like switching between flooring, truncating, and rounding your TC calculations will effect your results.

-Sonny-

Sonny

ScottH said:
Do you actually do the math, or do you just know what the TC is from doing it so many times?
Flash cards my friend! :) I have all of the 3/4 deck TC calculations from +1 to +8 memorized so that I don't have to do the tricky math at the table. It only takes a few hours of practice at home and it will save you lots of time at the tables, as well as make your life much ealier.

-Sonny-

Sonny said:
You can be as accurate as you want. Just make sure that your betting strategy and playing strategy is based on that same method of TC calculation.
I think he was asking minimal acceptable accuracy per deck level. zg

ScottH

zengrifter said:
I think he was asking minimal acceptable accuracy per deck level. zg
Indeed I was. I'm a little bit scared of TC conversions because I have to estimate to the nearest 1/4 deck for a 2-deck game. I will have to practice a lot before being ready to use a TC system. I would also like to find a good resource for practicing.

Sonny

ScottH said:
I'm a little bit scared of TC conversions because I have to estimate to the nearest 1/4 deck for a 2-deck game.
Quick cheat: For DD games just compare the cards in the discard tray to the cards in the dealer's hand. If they look about equal then you can start using the RC as TC instead of dividing by 2 for the TC conversion. It certainly helps to be able to use more accurate TC conversion (dividing the RC by 1.5 decks or multiplying it by 0.75), but it is not necessary.

In DD games I often do my deck estimates based on the cards in the dealer's hand instead of the discard tray. I always thought it was a dead giveaway when a player looks at the discards. Why would a BS ploppy ever do that? :confused: Only a card counter would.

-Sonny-