Truncating, flooring, or rounding for the Ken Smith strategy cards sold on this site?

aceside

mikeryn said:
Does anyone know if Ken Smith used truncating, flooring, or rounding for the plastic strategy cards sold on this site?
I guess only truncating makes scientific sense for most counters because it is more reserved. Flooring is for more aggressive players. Rounding is for nerds.

DSchles

aceside said:
I guess only truncating makes scientific sense for most counters because it is more reserved. Flooring is for more aggressive players. Rounding is for nerds.
How do you manage to screw up virtually every response you give? You do realize that, for the only counts that really matter--the positive ones, where big bets are made and most strategy variations kick in--truncating and flooring are identical!

Rounding and flooring are both perfectly acceptable approaches and produce equivalent results. Truncating is less desirable, because of the doubly wide zero true count bucket, and is rarely advocated today.

Don

aceside

DSchles said:
How do you manage to screw up virtually every response you give? You do realize that, for the only counts that really matter--the positive ones, where big bets are made and most strategy variations kick in--truncating and flooring are identical!

Rounding and flooring are both perfectly acceptable approaches and produce equivalent results. Truncating is less desirable, because of the doubly wide zero true count bucket, and is rarely advocated today.

Don
Not every responses, but sometimes I have my expertise. Your math makes sense in some degree, but not exactly. This is all about a match between the player’s method and what the deviation indices are intended to be used. I am saying that most published deviation indices are based on the method of truncating, while the player counts are roughly based on truncating too; therefore, players should only care about indices obtained from truncating.

DSchles

aceside said:
Not every responses, but sometimes I have my expertise. Your math makes sense in some degree, but not exactly. This is all about a match between the player’s method and what the deviation indices are intended to be used. I am saying that most published deviation indices are based on the method of truncating, while the player counts are roughly based on truncating too; therefore, players should only care about indices obtained from truncating.
Your answer is too foolish to reply to, other to say that all the indices in BJA3 are floored.

Don

The G Man

I just can't believe this imbecile named aceside still retains every right to post on BJ sites.
I would compare him to a "covid negationist" spreading false information and idiocies.
The dumb guy feels he has to give his poor opinion and spread is nonsense to every single BJ post on the internet.
Aceside is a TROLL!

aceside

The G Man said:
I just can't believe this imbecile named aceside still retains every right to post on BJ sites.
I would compare him to a "covid negationist" spreading false information and idiocies.
The dumb guy feels he has to give his poor opinion and spread is nonsense to every single BJ post on the internet.
Aceside is a TROLL!
How come I am a troll? I have contributed more than 300 posts from a beginner AP’s view point, mainly to inform rising new APs from distorted misinformation. Trust me.

aceside

DSchles said:
Your answer is too foolish to reply to, other to say that all the indices in BJA3 are floored.

Don
The definition of rounding itself in math is ambiguous. What the original post asking is ambiguous too. In your future BJA4 book using rounding, 2.5 gets rounded to 3, and −2.5 gets rounded to −2. Is this correct?

The G Man

aceside said:
How come I am a troll? I have contributed more than 300 posts from a beginner AP’s view point, mainly to inform rising new APs from distorted misinformation. Trust me.
Yep, 300 posts and about 290 of them a pure garbage.