advice to all u db's from a seasoned dealer

kewljason

I don't often tip. I don't feel obligated to tip because the dealer chose this rather low paying profession. That was his or her choice.

This is a business for me and I am not going to hand over a portion of my earning because the dealer was pleasant. I really could care less if he was pleasant or not. I would only tip if I was getting something special in return like deeper than expected penetration ect, and wanted to encourage that continued treatment. With the hit and run, very short session style that I play, I am not likely to see much return for my effort as more often than not I am not around for future shoes. If I played a different style where I sat at the same table for longer periods of time I would have more of a chance to benefit from tipping, but under the circumstances, I would just be handing out a portion of my earnings with no expected return. I am sorry if this seems cold or makes me one of the 'assholes' that moo is referring to.

prankster

Kewl-
How long would you say your average session lasts in terms of time or shoes. I also like the idea of "hit and run," "surgical strike" type sessions!:joker:

aslan

kewljason said:
I don't often tip. I don't feel obligated to tip because the dealer chose this rather low paying profession. That was his or her choice.

This is a business for me and I am not going to hand over a portion of my earning because the dealer was pleasant. I really could care less if he was pleasant or not. I would only tip if I was getting something special in return like deeper than expected penetration ect, and wanted to encourage that continued treatment. With the hit and run, very short session style that I play, I am not likely to see much return for my effort as more often than not I am not around for future shoes. If I played a different style where I sat at the same table for longer periods of time I would have more of a chance to benefit from tipping, but under the circumstances, I would just be handing out a portion of my earnings with no expected return. I am sorry if this seems cold or makes me one of the 'assholes' that moo is referring to.
I can understand your reasoning. Why tip when you will hardly be there an hour? Myself, I play marathon sessions sometimes, mainly if I get stuck. It is important to me that the table likes me and encourages my long term play--plus, you get to know the dealers and and begin seeing them as human beings, not automatons mindlessly dealing hand after hand.

I don't feel as you do that it is their fault for choosing a low paying job. You don't apply that criterion to waitresses, do you? The better part of a waitresses' and a dealer's wage is tips. Plus, with 17% real unemployment, I don't blame anyone for taking any job they can get.

I do tend to be stingy when I am losing hour after hour. But even then I do tip sometimes, but not as much as maybe I should. I think it all falls into that fallacious thinking that if one wins then the dealer deserves a tip (or I can afford a tip), but if one loses, he does not (or I cannot). We both know the dealer has nothing to do with our winning or losing (generally speaking), and also, the house is offering the game as entertainment, win or lose, not for my professional advancement. lol The dealer might ignore house policy by giving better pen, or he might pay on a push, but those are unethical things for him to do if he does it to get tips. I'm not looking for an accomplice, just a good game.

I don't want to get into the mindset that it's their tough luck. Tipping is a sucker move for some--I'm not saying you--but I've been both ways and I like myself better if I tip. I'm going to make a new year's resolution to tip a dollar or two even in a very short session. It seems to create good karma, and I think feeling good about myself may even have a good effect on my game. But that's just me. Everyone has their own point of view.

kewljason

prankster said:
Kewl-
How long would you say your average session lasts in terms of time or shoes. I also like the idea of "hit and run," "surgical strike" type sessions!:joker:
20 minutes to 1/2 half hour. Between religious wonging out and leaving after any shoe that I place a 12 unit wager or more (TC+3), I rarely make it through a second shoe. On the rare occasions that the count has remained fairly neutral and neither of these situations have occured, I still will leave after 45 minutes. Overly cautious, I am sure, but I just don't like to put too much play on tape.

aslan said:
I can understand your reasoning. Why tip when you will hardly be there an hour? Myself, I play marathon sessions sometimes, mainly if I get stuck. It is important to me that the table likes me and encourages my long term play--plus, you get to know the dealers and and begin seeing them as human beings, not automatons mindlessly dealing hand after hand.

I don't feel as you do that it is their fault for choosing a low paying job. You don't apply that criterion to waitresses, do you? The better part of a waitresses' and a dealer's wage is tips. Plus, with 17% real unemployment, I don't blame anyone for taking any job they can get.

I do tend to be stingy when I am losing hour after hour. But even then I do tip sometimes, but not as much as maybe I should. I think it all falls into that fallacious thinking that if one wins then the dealer deserves a tip (or I can afford a tip), but if one loses, he does not (or I cannot). We both know the dealer has nothing to do with our winning or losing (generally speaking), and also, the house is offering the game as entertainment, win or lose, not for my professional advancement. lol The dealer might ignore house policy by giving better pen, or he might pay on a push, but those are unethical things for him to do if he does it to get tips. I'm not looking for an accomplice, just a good game.

I don't want to get into the mindset that it's their tough luck. Tipping is a sucker move for some--I'm not saying you--but I've been both ways and I like myself better if I tip. I'm going to make a new year's resolution to tip a dollar or two even in a very short session. It seems to create good karma, and I think feeling good about myself may even have a good effect on my game. But that's just me. Everyone has their own point of view.
OMG, you were going strong there for a while. Even made a good point with the waitress comparison and then you crossed the voodoo line into karma and feeling good about yourself. :laugh: (just kidding)

i never said OVERtip the dealer..i said tip the dealer...asian db.....also mst self proclaimed counters cant keep a running count to save their lives and have no idea what th f@#$ they are doing just because you can count to 52 doesnt mean you can count jackass....i had one moron try to keep count on a continuous shuffler...im not hustling for tokes either what i am saying asshole is i do the exact same thing you do..and i will take advantage of a weak dealer...but what your not getting is a strong dealer WILL recognize a counter but likely wont give a **** as long as you through a toke now and again...a weak dealer doesnt make tokes anyway so they would never notice

KimLee

pigrat said:
advice to all u db's ...
tip your dealer well ... you idiots
You call your customers douchebags and idiots and then expect them to tip better?

It sounds like a bitter, surly, fired dealer losing his house to foreclosure.

i call non tippers douche bags.and that goes for tipping anyone in a profession that lives off tips...waitresses, bartenders, etc etc

aslan

kewljason said:
20 minutes to 1/2 half hour. Between religious wonging out and leaving after any shoe that I place a 12 unit wager or more (TC+3), I rarely make it through a second shoe. On the rare occasions that the count has remained fairly neutral and neither of these situations have occured, I still will leave after 45 minutes. Overly cautious, I am sure, but I just don't like to put too much play on tape.

OMG, you were going strong there for a while. Even made a good point with the waitress comparison and then you crossed the voodoo line into karma and feeling good about yourself. :laugh: (just kidding)
Somebody's got to feel good about me! :laugh: As for karma, I don't believe in it unless it means what goes around comes around. I've had plenty of experience with that! :laugh:

aslan

pigrat said:
i call non tippers douche bags.and that goes for tipping anyone in a profession that lives off tips...waitresses, bartenders, etc etc
At your service, pigrat! I answer posts for tips.

PM me for my email address. You may use paypal or credit card. Thanks. :) :)

aslan

KimLee said:
You call your customers douchebags and idiots and then expect them to tip better?

It sounds like a bitter, surly, fired dealer losing his house to foreclosure.
If I didn't know better, I'd think Ken was behind these crazy posts---tipping dealers---winning 172 sessions in a row with nothing but basic strategy---just to stir up Forum interest. :joker: Perish the thought!! :laugh:

KimLee

pigrat said:
i call non tippers douche bags
If you were any good at counting, why would you be dealing?

Actually, are you currently employed as a dealer? Do you own a home that is not in foreclosure?

This attitude of entitlement show why most dealers do not deserve tips. Bartenders and waitresses provide service. They actually bring you drinks. Dealers stand there and wait for you to bring them money. Then when you get lucky, some think they are entitled to a cut.

I have seen good dealers who are efficient, who help novices, and maintain a friendly atmosphere. They deal because they like an active job that lets them socialize with customers. They do not sound like Pigrat.

kewljason

A guy named pigrat, labeling players douchebags, assholes, morons and jackasses, with a few f@#$ thrown in for good measure. What a class act. I'll bet patrons are flocking to play at his table. :laugh:

Just my two cents on tip hustling...

I for one find it absurd and crass when dealers ask for a tip. You would never have a waiter/waitress in a restaurant refer to a customer as a douchebag just because they didn't tip.

Numerous English dealers in the UK ask for tips, i tip sometimes and most of the time the tip isn't enough for the greedy dealer. No im not tipping 5% of my win, f*** off im trying to make a living too. Any dealer that hints it instantly gets no tip, even if i win thousands.

Any dealer thats ever rude enough to me to ask for a tip I have but one reply everytime. "Heres a tip, DEAL THE CARDS".

More than enough ploppys tip £££'s. Accept the fact if you get a 5er chip, its a 5er you wouldnt of had. The less you make a fuss the more likely you will accumalate tips, as TESCO says... "every little helps".

Serious question

Do you guys with hair tip your Barber?

I mean like a male Barber,,,not a foxy female Barber rubbing herself all over you when cutting your hair.(I'll tip for that:grin:)

The way I see it the Barber has a price posted on the wall for what he charges,,,should he then expect a tip,,,should you tip your Barber??

CP

pigrat said:
instead of trying to fly under the radar sometimes the best thing to do is be almost blatant if you tip your dealer well (although you idiots have a strong opposition to this)
You IDIOTS know who you are! z:laugh:g

aslan

Arguments over tipping are unresolvable. It's part of the culture and seems especially related to socioeconomic class, but not entirely. Some are opposed to tipping under any circumstances, others tip even when not called for, and there is every conceivable position in between. I have seen wealthy people who hate every dime they feel forced to tip and I have seen poor people, who have been on the receiving end, advocate tipping to the highest degree possible and do so themselves. Tipping is not always a rational practice; it's more custom than anything. Maybe we'd be better off without it, but I don't think that anyone's meager or lack of contribution will hurry up that day. It's really up to you and how you were brought up or have come to believe. For the most part, if you are very well off, I doubt if it is much of an issue, since discretionary income is not a problem.

aslan

zengrifter said:
Only idiots tip their barber, I thought? zg
Most men I know, at least in this area of the country, go to hair cutters other than barbers. It seems there's been a divergence between barbering and hair cutting/styling, but I don't quite understand the difference, sine barbers have taken on hair styling and hair cutters do pretty much what barbers have traditionally done. When I was a child, my Father would take me to the barber, where I learned by observation that a 50 (or was it 25?) cent tip was appropriate for that time period and price of haircut. Are you calling my Father, rest his soul, an idiot?

fubster

creeping panther said:
Do you guys with hair tip your Barber?

I mean like a male Barber,,,not a foxy female Barber rubbing herself all over you when cutting your hair.(I'll tip for that:grin:)

The way I see it the Barber has a price posted on the wall for what he charges,,,should he then expect a tip,,,should you tip your Barber??

CP
who doesn't tip the barber?

Sucker

pigrat said:
I once gave my ticket to the parking valet and he came back with the wrong car - THREE TIMES! Finally, after close to an hour later he came back with the right car. As I'm getting into the car he's standing there with his hand out! As I'm driving away after justifiably stiffing him, I hear him utter a very loud "SHEESH"! Now that's the REAL definition of a douchbag!