Good Reads

Not sure how often this has been discussed so I apologize in advance if it's beating a dead horse's post but I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for Blackjack reads for either counting, bet spreads, etc. I believe I've seen someone tout Blackjack Attack on here so if anyone has read that and could give me some insight on if it's a worthy read, please tell me. Other suggestions are very appreciated as well.

As for myself, I have read Blackjack for Blood by Bryce Carlson(a pseudonym) It taught me the Basic Omega II system which I'm still attempting to learn but I feel is miles better than the Hi-lo. The book laid out pretty good Basic Strategy Variations for TC -6 and +6 along with a Bet Spread Technique that could also be looked at as a camo technique. I felt it was an extremely good read for someone looking for a clever level II count with techniques and some interesting anecdotes of games as well, I know I'd recommend it.

Nvrlose37 said:
Not sure how often this has been discussed so I apologize in advance if it's beating a dead horse's post but I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for Blackjack reads for either counting, bet spreads, etc. I believe I've seen someone tout Blackjack Attack on here so if anyone has read that and could give me some insight on if it's a worthy read, please tell me. Other suggestions are very appreciated as well.

As for myself, I have read Blackjack for Blood by Bryce Carlson(a pseudonym) It taught me the Basic Omega II system which I'm still attempting to learn but I feel is miles better than the Hi-lo. The book laid out pretty good Basic Strategy Variations for TC -6 and +6 along with a Bet Spread Technique that could also be looked at as a camo technique. I felt it was an extremely good read for someone looking for a clever level II count with techniques and some interesting anecdotes of games as well, I know I'd recommend it.
For a level II strategy deviations TC -3 to +3 is a pretty narrow range. If you wong out aggressively the negative range is fine but you to play those big bets as accurately as you can. It may be a small percentage of the time that you use them but it is where your session win or lose is usually decided.

The Theory Of Blackjack by Peter Griffin and Blackjack Attack III are must reads for knowing how the whole counting process works. Everyone should sit down with pen and paper a couple times a year and grind out some side count adjustments or indices. It really helps understand where your advantage comes from and why some positive EV plays like splitting 44 v 6 is weak compared to doubling if you are not side counting sevens or sixes when both are index plays. Your advantage is from count correlation to the correct play. Poor correlation means small gain in EV after the index is exceeded. While high correlation means you gain EV much faster after the index is exceeded.

Sonny

BJinNJ

Several others...

BJ for Blood is very good.

I read about 20 books when I started, and much of the info in each is
repetitive to the other books. But, each book has some info that you
won't find in the others.

My favorites(in no order):

Blackbelt in Blackjack by Snyder
Professional Blackjack by Wong
Blackjack Bluebook II by Renzy

For more math behind BJ read:

Theory of BJ by Griffin
Blackjack Attack 3 by Schlesinger
Beyond Counting by Grosjean, if you can find/afford it

For more stories read Uston's books.
Revere's book is xlnt, too. And short!

I use Renzy's book most, and have been working off/on learning
his level 2 count. Having said that, starting with Hi Lo might
have been the easier path to get started.(Wong's(rev. '94)book
is the key book for Hi Lo).

BJinNJ :cool:

BJinNJ

Blueprint is pretty good...

Just pulled out my copy to refresh on what it contains.
Lays out practice routines to master as you become a
proficient Hi/Lo counter. Later in the book are sections
on BR management, Heat, Teams, Tournaments, etc.
KO, Zen and UBZII are also in there, though not as
thoroughly covered as Hi/Lo.

Overall, a good beginners book for someone who needs
guidance to determine individual skills to master.

BJinNJ :cool: