Not Impressed

Koseao

sharonestone said:
What's a "bash" anyway? :confused:
You'll need someone else to tell you what it is, I have not been to one. But if you read the Bash thread, you will want to practice hard enough to then hopefully one day be able to attend one. They sound amazing. They're great players and I am sure it is just a fabulous sight to see them all play! Read the thread though,these guys crack me up.

Koseao

Alright... back on track- haters :)

psyduck said:
Apparently this thread is turning into.................I forgot the word.
Well here is a question I want to know about betting in general based of my bad experience on over betting at my last shopping extravaganza! :) Overbetting a bankroll can ruin your BR fast by diminishing it. However, over betting could UP your BR too (not for long, the fluctuations are too rough when they get down but just go with the hypothetical question) So if you play under your BR amount by a lot you won't go anywhere, which one is worse. Under betting or over betting? Under gets you nowhere slowly. But over betting can get you nowhere but down FAST! Don't feel bad if you don't understand, it isnt that it is above your head, it just came out mine, so therefore could be quite scrambled :laugh::cool:

It depends on your priorities. Underbetting a large bankroll is less harmful than overbetting a small one. But if you're starting with a less-than-sufficient bankroll, you'll often need to overbet in an effort to build it up.

Example:

I play an annually-replenishable bankroll. I can add x amount of money to it on a monthly basis win, lose, or push. Now I can play with the risk associated with a 12x bankroll and just let the wins from each month carry over into the additions for the next month. If I tap out before the month is over, I have to wait until the monthly addition is met before playing again. This is purposely overbetting my physical bankroll in an effort to build it to a safer size.

Sonny

Koseao said:
...which one is worse. Under betting or over betting? Under gets you nowhere slowly. But over betting can get you nowhere but down FAST!
To be or not to be? That is the question! Would you rather make a small profit or go broke trying to make a big score? Would you rather risk your entire bankroll on a longshot or grind away for a loooong time? If those are your only two options then there is assuredly a better way to be investing your money than BJ. Keep practicing and working on your skills, but keep saving money in the meantime. At some point you will either build up enough of a bankroll to play with a small advantage or acquire the skills to be able to play with a small bankroll. Either way, you won't have to worry about over-betting, under-winning or RoR.

But if you must play in the meantime (for practice of course :)), here is some advice from the Frequently Asked Questions thread:

Q: I didn’t realize that I needed such a big bankroll to count cards. Can I still play with a smaller bankroll?
A: Sure, as long as you understand the risks you are taking. If you are able to add some money to your bankroll regularly then you can play a little more aggressively. Here are some tips on playing with a small bankroll and supplementing your bankroll:

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=5655
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=5939
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9604
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9258

-Sonny-

Last edited:

bjcount

Koseao said:
Well here is a question I want to know about betting in general based of my bad experience on over betting at my last shopping extravaganza! :) Overbetting a bankroll can ruin your BR fast by diminishing it. However, over betting could UP your BR too (not for long, the fluctuations are too rough when they get down but just go with the hypothetical question) So if you play under your BR amount by a lot you won't go anywhere, which one is worse. Under betting or over betting? Under gets you nowhere slowly. But over betting can get you nowhere but down FAST! Don't feel bad if you don't understand, it isnt that it is above your head, it just came out mine, so therefore could be quite scrambled :laugh::cool:
You obviously don't have a replenishable BR so underbetting your BR would be the way to go. This little bit of money is all you have so treat it with respect.
For now, if your up $100 or $200 on the day, walk away, take a break, or go home and come back another day.

You sound like $100 or 2 is not enough but look at it as a good days pay. Build it up slowly at $100/day and before you know it your $2,500 will be $5,000 once again.

Overbet your BR and that $2,500 will be gone in 2 trips.

Just a simple approach.... but who needs complicated methodology when your first beginning.

BJC

Koseao

Sonny said:
If those are your only two options then there is assuredly a better way to be investing your money than BJ. Keep practicing and working on your skills, but keep saving money in the meantime. At some point you will either build up enough of a bankroll to play with a small advantage or acquire the skills to be able to play with a small bankroll.

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=5655
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=5939
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9604
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=9258

-Sonny-
My bankroll is around 2900. So my bankroll isn't like 100 dollars. But still very small. I don't invest into it except what I make from it goes into it, or if my stepdad gives me money for groceries and I don't need them,lol. I just maintain the roll and hope I don't lose it all. I guess if that ever happens, I will have to invest some of my free spending money on clothes and things into the BJ roll. So thank you for the links! I was just curious which one was better, to over or under bet the bankroll. I can see it both ways. Tricky question to which I would prefer

Last edited:

MAZ

Koseao said:
With the bankroll you have no matter what, you will be overbetting with a sizeable risk. If its a risk you are willing to take than technically you are not really overbetting. This is usually done with replenishable bankrolls, which I don't believe you have right now. Not a fun way to go. If you don't get lucky you're done until you find a way to get more bank. On the other hand if you have big bank, playing with extremely low risk can still mean good money. Its a comfort level most can't play at but to me is optimal. If you can make a couple of hundred dollars an hour and still have a 1% ROR or lower, I say its worth the lower EV with the near 0 risk. But of course when your playing with me you will be in the 0% risk 100% reward zone. :grin:

Koseao

bjcount said:
You obviously don't have a replenishable BR so underbetting your BR would be the way to go. This little bit of money is all you have so treat it with respect.
For now, if your up $100 or $200 on the day, walk away, take a break, or go home and come back another day.

You sound like $100 or 2 is not enough but look at it as a good days pay. Build it up slowly at $100/day and before you know it your $2,500 will be $5,000 once again.

Overbet your BR and that $2,500 will be gone in 2 trips.

Just a simple approach.... but who needs complicated methodology when your first beginning.

BJC
Thank you that was very well put! Yes, you described me very well. I guess I should be happy with making 100 or 200 a trip. I normally am happy with making any and not losing but my last trip I kept losing and kept going because I started to let the inside beat the brain on it all and checked out logically. Lesson learned! Someday I hope it does build, and it will do that faster like you said with keeping winnings of 100 then losing it all in two trips by over betting :) Thanx

Koseao

MAZ said:
With the bankroll you have no matter what, you will be overbetting with a sizeable risk. If its a risk you are willing to take than technically you are not really overbetting. This is usually done with replenishable bankrolls, which I don't believe you have right now. Not a fun way to go. If you don't get lucky you're done until you find a way to get more bank. On the other hand if you have big bank, playing with extremely low risk can still mean good money. Its a comfort level most can't play at but to me is optimal. If you can make a couple of hundred dollars an hour and still have a 1% ROR or lower, I say its worth the lower EV with the near 0 risk. But of course when your playing with me you will be in the 0% risk 100% reward zone. :grin:
Good points made all around. I don't really have any luck. So I reallly shouldnt risk anything at the moment. Lol, and yes :laugh: with you it's the 100% reward zone. Do I get a membership card too? :p

Koseao said:
Thank you that was very well put! Yes, you described me very well. I guess I should be happy with making 100 or 200 a trip. I normally am happy with making any and not losing but my last trip I kept losing and kept going because I started to let the inside beat the brain on it all and checked out logically. Lesson learned! Someday I hope it does build, and it will do that faster like you said with keeping winnings of 100 then losing it all in two trips by over betting :) Thanx
You should also realize that leaving with $100 or $200 every trip is not likely. You'll almost definitely have losing trips, sometimes large ones. Sometimes you'll have winning streaks that go far above your true expectation. Session-based results are not very important; you should make sure you're betting within what you feel to be a reasonable level of risk and instead focus on hours/hands played.

Koseao

Lonesome Gambler said:
You should also realize that leaving with $100 or $200 every trip is not likely. You'll almost definitely have losing trips, sometimes large ones. Sometimes you'll have winning streaks that go far above your true expectation. Session-based results are not very important; you should make sure you're betting within what you feel to be a reasonable level of risk and instead focus on hours/hands played.
Oh yea I have made that discovery that you will not always go home a winner. I have a lot of trips like that actually, I just take them as lessons trying to learn. But that 100 dollars made a night/morning isn't a horrible thing. It goes up and down. I just can't have anymore unreal emotional losses like the other night's. I think my bf just made me nervous. Lol, might as well just blame him :) jokes

bjcount

Koseao said:
Oh yea I have made that discovery that you will not always go home a winner. I have a lot of trips like that actually, I just take them as lessons trying to learn. But that 100 dollars made a night/morning isn't a horrible thing. It goes up and down. I just can't have anymore unreal emotional losses like the other night's. I think my bf just made me nervous. Lol, might as well just blame him :) jokes
Just a simple rule of thumb of how much you should go play with, of course each person will have a different amount they will feel confortable with.

You should have with you either 150unit min bets or 15 max bets. So if your playing $10 units with a 1-12 spread, you should have at least $1,500 - $1,800 with you. Since this is approx 65% of your total bankroll your Risk of Ruin is probably 95% (sorry to burst your bubble). Even at $5 min your risk of ruin is still over 50% (a guesstimate).

The other way to play it is learn to aggressively wong, lower your spread, and raise your minimum bet.

One other fantastic method.... take Maz up on his offer. ;)

BJC

Last edited:

psyduck

Koseao said:
In my case, I am still experimenting with and refining my method. As a result, I play with small spread and evaluate my results.

Given a fixed BR without future funding, if you don't care about the longevity of your game and know you are playing with an advantage, I see the reason for overbetting.

daddybo

Koseao said:
You say the BF thing in jest. It can make a huge difference mentally to have some one watching you with an attitude that sez "I hope you lose". Been there done that. Invariably you will get in a bad spell where everything goes against you and next thing you know you're doing stupid things to "pull it out". Bad plays, overbetting etc.. all the while feeling the heat from the comments and looks. Its way worse than pit heat. This game is way more mental than most realize. Get rid of the emotions.. then "fake" them. (I'll bet you can do that!)
Of course if you go with MAZ.. (I don't think I know him)... you will probably be using techniques that are a little more advanced than straight counting. :)

Last edited:

daddybo

MAZ said:
. Its a comfort level most can't play at but to me is optimal. If you can make a couple of hundred dollars an hour and still have a 1% ROR or lower, I say its worth the lower EV with the near 0 risk. But of course when your playing with me you will be in the 0% risk 100% reward zone. :grin:
ROFLMAO.. More like 100% Risk - 100% Reward. :laugh::laugh::laugh: