The dumbest thing you have ever seen at the table

BJLFS

aslan said:
You write well in English, but I think I was misunderstanding you a bit. Sorry.

Yes, there are some really crazy players at the blackjack tables. If you play long enough you may see almost anything conceivable. I have yet to see anyone double down on a blackjack, but you never know what tomorrow will bring. I wonder if the house would allow him to double down? I'm sure some places would. :laugh:
BTW, DD on a BJ??? I think you can do it but only at extremely high counts against a 5 or 6.

EmeraldCityBJ

My favorites are the plays that look really dumb to the casual observer, but are actually the correct strategy play.

I once played two hands. Dealer showed a six. I stood with 13 on my first hand, but then hit the 14 on my second hand.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the class to figure out the specific scenario which made this strategy correct.

BJLFS

EmeraldCityBJ said:
My favorites are the plays that look really dumb to the casual observer, but are actually the correct strategy play.

I once played two hands. Dealer showed a six. I stood with 13 on my first hand, but then hit the 14 on my second hand.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the class to figure out the specific scenario which made this strategy correct.
I took a look at Wong's book and couldn't find anything on it. Are you sure it wasn't hit in 13 and stood on 14?

EmeraldCityBJ said:

This wasn't really blackjack, was it?

A couple of possibilities

EmeraldCityBJ said:

There are a few possibilities but the ones that come to mind are:

1) You have a SD or even a DD game dealt deeply and the running count is -2 with 8 cards remaining. For illustration, let us say that are using HiOptII with quarter deck resolution. The TC is -8 and therefore the index is just above the index of -9 to hit the 13V6. Now after seeing 2 additional cards,(10 and 4 for 14), the RC is same but the TC is now different. You have 6 cards and actually below 50% of quarter deck. So you are closer to 1/8th deck (if you use quarter deck resolution, the denominator is 0, so 1/8th is better;) and have to calculate the TC as -16; THis is below the index of -14 to hit 14V6. { Although I must admit that one has to generate more accurate indices than 1/4th deck resolution if the game is really available often :) }

2) You have a SD game dealt deeply and are using multiparameter system. You probably know that all 8s and 10s have been dealt out. Depending on the composition of the remaining cards,there are many possibilities that can make the hit worthwhile.

Regards
Waugh

aslan

EmeraldCityBJ said:

Did you have at least one 7 and no 6's? :rolleyes:

EmeraldCityBJ said:

Negative count to a point that prevents soft doubling, hard 13 on the first hand, soft 14 on the second hand?

Brock Windsor

EmeraldCityBJ said:

Occam's Razor would suggest hard 13 and soft 14 with no DOA.

As for dumbest play, I once saw a person losing consistently bet his last $100 in an 'all in' moment. He got 16vT. When the play comes around to him he calls over the pit and asks for a $300 marker. A few minutes later he gets his marker and announces with bravado "Watch this" and pushes out a $100 double down. The pit comes back after hearing the dealer call "doubling down on a hard 16". The dealer gave him a face card.
-BW

Brock Windsor said:
Occam's Razor would suggest hard 13 and soft 14 with no DOA.

As for dumbest play, I once saw a person losing consistently bet his last $100 in an 'all in' moment. He got 16vT. When the play comes around to him he calls over the pit and asks for a $300 marker. A few minutes later he gets his marker and announces with bravado "Watch this" and pushes out a $100 double down. The pit comes back after hearing the dealer call "doubling down on a hard 16". The dealer gave him a face card.
-BW
I love when a stupid moment is preceded by a "watch this". That's the best part of it imo. :laugh:

HockeXpert

aslan said:
I have yet to see anyone double down on a blackjack, but you never know what tomorrow will bring. I wonder if the house would allow him to double down? I'm sure some places would. :laugh:

PS-- I wouldn't be surprised if someone here has an index for this play.
Don Schlesinger says the penalty is too great to have an index to double on bj. However, the index to double soft 21 vs 6 is 10 using hi-lo.

apex

EmeraldCityBJ said:

Ill take a poke at an exposed 7 as the next card to be dealt.

My recent one was a lady sat down and would give $50 to everyone at the table to play on their hand. This was odd because a space was available for her to play. I thought the side show would provide marginal cover so I went along with it. She played for about a half hour when I was dealt 8-8 versus dealer 6. I split and she threw a fit. I found this odd because she was very nice and didn't complain about any other plays. Anyway, I (we) lost the hand and so did the rest of the table. She was like "see I told you! Just let the dealer bust!" Whatever. Went back to happy blackjack for about another hour.

Then I get 8-8 again. She has $50 under my $10 bet. I split again and now she REALLY throws a fit. We all lose to a dealer 21 and she storms off saying I greatly hurt her.

d

every weekend i see something new.
the guy bets 300$ a hand table limit. there are 3 other people betting 25 - 50 -50. he has 6
the dealer has 5
he stays.
i ask him why he is staying, he says this is a team game, i dont want to hurt other people's bets by taking card. i am going crazy.
the funny point is he los without taking card, but even if he drew he still would have lost. for those wondering, true count was + 1.5

jack.jackson

EmeraldCityBJ said:

Hmmm, i know splitting 7s would still be the correct play, but perhaps 777 payed a nice bonus? Especially suited 7s. Or any combo of 6-7-8.

aslan

jack said:
Hmmm, i know splitting 7s would still be the correct play, but perhaps 777 payed a nice bonus? Especially suited 7s. Or any combo of 6-7-8.
But of course he didn't have any combo of 6-7-8, since he would have hit his 13 if he had 7/6, and it could not have been his 14 hand, since no combination adds up to 14. But, yes, I was thinking the game he was playing had those features. :rolleyes: :grin:

jack.jackson

aslan said:
But of course he didn't have any combo of 6-7-8, since he would have hit his 13 if he had 7/6, and it could not have been his 14 hand, since no combination adds up to 14. But, yes, I was thinking the game he was playing had those features. :rolleyes: :grin:
I was thinking he could of maybe had a 6-8 to begin with. I dont think it would have to be in order would it? Amd fpr the 13 it could of been T3

aslan

jack said:
I was thinking he could of maybe had a 6-8 to begin with. I dont think it would have to be in order would it? Amd fpr the 13 it could of been T3
Zoing! Yup, 6 and 8 do add up to 14. I should have stayed awake in 4th grade arithmetic! :laugh: Think, Aslan, think! You big dummy! :whip::whip::whip:

Last edited:

farmdoggy

EmeraldCityBJ said:

Hmm... Well this wouldn't look dumb to the casual observer, but if your 14 consisted of A,3 and the TC was -7 in an H17 game that would solve the puzzle...

farmdoggy

And some of the dumbest plays I've seen came from the same guy. He split 10's vs Ace and also doubled a 6 vs 4... Dealer busted both times.