Weekend Warriors

sagefr0g said:
hold on WARRIORS!!!!!!!!
we got a real pro tawkin!!!!!!!
maybe we should listen!!!!!
the great zengrifter whom we all tremble in his presence has spoken!
he has intimidated the word we with "Lets"!!!!!
lead us oh great and wonderful fearsom zen being and we shall follow!
erhhh uhmm i mean if we have the ability. the right stuff.
First of all, where do you warriors live? Sound off. zg

aslan

Canceler said:
I intend to run one with PowerSim using the normal KO indexes. But I do want to compare it to whatever anyone else comes up with for KO.

Whoever starts the new WW2 thread, when you list the conditions please make sure the pen is 67%.

Mr. Fr0g: Happy Birthday!
What is a normal KO index? I play KO preferred, but it's the only KO indices I know of. Semantics I guess. Do you mean KO without indices. or KO preferred (ie, KO with indices)? lol :confused:

Canceler

To clarify...

aslan said:
What is a normal KO index? I play KO preferred, but it's the only KO indices I know of. Semantics I guess. Do you mean KO without indices. or KO preferred (ie, KO with indices)? lol :confused:
Yes, I meant the indexes associated with KO Preferred. Not any of the KO Full indexes, or any obtained from somewhere other than the book.

aslan

Canceler said:
Yes, I meant the indexes associated with KO Preferred. Not any of the KO Full indexes, or any obtained from somewhere other than the book.
Kewl. I figured that's what you meant. That's the way I play KO. Don't think full indices would give much more advantage. Probably less because I would make more mistakes trying to use it, at least that's the way I think. lol

jack.jackson

aslan said:
ROTFLMAO! JJ, this was especially meaningful to me because I spent 6 years helping people who lived under bridges in Wash, DC. I could tell you some stories!
Was that your vocation, or was it volunteer work? I have a soft spot for them too.Like everything else in life. Some deserve it and some dont.

How about 1 short story?

Kasi

zengrifter said:
You guys better stop playing this silly game, before you go blind.
Which silly game is that? You mean the proposed game is unrealistic or do you just mean BJ in general? If the latter, can't speak for the others, but I thank you for your advice. Mine to you would be for you to stop playing at least until you no longer need a fact-checker for the basic stuff.

zengrifter said:
This isn't Weekend Warriors or even Wild Hawgs - those types at least play real games on the weekend.
If the Weekend Warriors play real games on the weekend, hopefully when they get home they will actually know what their EV was.

Maybe the Weekend Warriors feel they'd rather not play real games on the weekend until they are 100% prepared ahead of time.

Must be the Wild Hawgs that play those real games on the weekend and 300 weekends later wonder what they should have expected.

zengrifter said:
This whole thread should be moved to Voodoo!
Sadly, that speaks volumes. Obviously, just my opinion.

Apparently, players, card-counters all, learning how to use a sim, practicing and applying their counting skills, and hopefully being able to measure their results afterward, is, for some reason, voodoo to you.

But with any luck at all, 30 years later they won't even have to call in a fact-checker on aisle 5 still wondering about their chances to achieve a goal.

Care to explain why you feel it belongs in voodoo?

zengrifter said:
Lets do a REAL Wild Hawgs! zg
Great. Yes. Lets do that. Play some real games this weekend and start a Real Wild Hawgs thread.

sagefr0g

Kasi said:

Great. Yes. Lets do that. Play some real games this weekend and start a Real Wild Hawgs thread.
dat's it Kasi! you go on an tellem. tellem how we kicked their mofo a$$ in that bada$$ joint in da mountains.
jive mofu wild hawg sh!t. tell ihm. dat's wtf i'm tawkin bout. %$($**%#()@!!:flame::cool2::flame:

Kasi

sagefr0g said:
dat's it Kasi! you go on an tellem. tellem how we kicked their mofo a$$ in that bada$$ joint in da mountains.
jive mofu wild hawg sh!t. tell ihm. dat's wtf i'm tawkin bout. %$($**%#()@!!:flame::cool2::flame:
I really felt I exercised an extreme amount of constraint :confused: No??

That was just me being real, real nice and polite.

It's not like I used big red letters and stuff like some people :grin:

Perhaps it's best, after all, I didn't say what I really thought :grin:

sagefr0g

no respect

quote:
Originally posted by sagefr0g
hold on warriors!!!!!!!!
We got a real pro tawkin!!!!!!!
Maybe we should listen!!!!!
The great zengrifter whom we all tremble in his presence has spoken!
He has intimidated the word we with "lets"!!!!!
Lead us oh great and wonderful fearsom zen being and we shall follow!
Erhhh uhmm i mean if we have the ability. The right stuff.
originally posted by zengrifter
first of all, where do you warriors live? Sound off. Zg
quote:
Originally posted by sagefr0g
same here as jj. Eastern midwest.
Kasi is there abouts also
canceler minnesota
aslan virginia
gatherer and k_c i dunno.
well?

Attachments

aslan

jack said:
Was that your vocation, or was it volunteer work? I have a soft spot for them too.Like everything else in life. Some deserve it and some dont.

How about 1 short story?
I started an effort that later became known as Help for the Unsheltered Homeless (HUH) in July of 1991. I have a distaste for bureaucracies, even those that provide social services. I had noticed that a certain group of poor people seemed to fall through the crack--these were the unsheltered homeless. Many homeless people choose not to live in shelters. Reasons vary: fear of disease; mental illness; addiction; fear of robbery or bodily harm; and a desire for freedom and the dignity of a place to call their own, even if that place is no more than a plastic and plywood space beneath a bridge, a building exhaust grate, or a broken down automoblie. These are the persons, men and women, who fall through the safety net of church and city-provided assistance. They will not come to you--you must go out to them.

The effort went on for 5-6 years with help from a friend, Port Loreto, but then came to an abrupt end when the DC goverment rousted all the homeless out from under bridges, destroying their humble belongings or carrying them off in trucks, Police rode into homeless camps on motorcycles before the break of dawn scattering those who lived there. Probably they were hoping that this would force these holdouts into the shelters. The homeless scattered everywhere, but I doubt that many wound up in shelters. I lost track of them after that, although I ran into some who would find a spot in a doorway or alcove and sleep there for the night, and maybe somewhere else the next night, pretty much always on the move.

One success story was a young girl whose name eludes me now after more than ten years. She was living in a box with her boyfriend directly across fron the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on the side of a hill camoflauged by trees and wild shrubs. As I recall it was fashioned out of wood and pretty nice as homeless camps go. One fact I recall is that she had a Scottish last name even though she was African American--MacDonald, MacGregor, MacIntire, or something like that. Apparently there was some intermarrying between Scots and Blacks at some time in the history of the Hampton, Virginia, area from which she came. Anyway, this young lady became pregnant. She was concerned about the welfare of her unborn baby but she didn't want to return to her home in Hampton until she was back on her feet. She had excluded the idea of aborting her baby but worried about what to do. I guess we must have talked her into contacting her mother and she was surprised that she wanted her to come home. I drove her along with one of her and my homeless friends down to Hampton. Her mother received her with open arms. We later heard that she had a healthy baby and had found a job and was getting ready to go to work. That's how I recall it now, but some facts may be jumbled. I think I have it written down somewhere, if I can find it.

Anyway, there is nothing like being instrumental in helping someone like that. It really warms your heart to see it all work out, especially after you have seen so many tragedies. For example, six of the people I helped under the bridge between K Street and the Whitehurst Freeway died during those 6 years--three of alcoholism, two murdered, and one of AIDS. The life of a truly homeless person is often quite short.

Last edited:

sagefr0g

aslan said:
I started an effort that later became known as Help for the Unsheltered Homeless (HUH) in July of 1991. I have a distaste for bureaucracies, even those that provide social services. I had noticed that a certain group of poor people seemed to fall through the crack--these were the unsheltered homeless. Many homeless people choose not to live in shelters. Reasons vary: fear of disease; mental illness; addiction; fear of robbery or bodily harm; and a desire for freedom and the dignity of a place to call their own, even if that place is no more than a plastic and plywood space beneath a bridge, a building exhaust grate, or a broken down automoblie. These are the persons, men and women, who fall through the safety net of church and city-provided assistance. They will not come to you--you must go out to them.

The effort went on for 5-6 years with help from a friend, Port Loreto, but then came to an abrupt end when the DC goverment rousted all the homeless out from under bridges, destroying their humble belongings or carrying them off in trucks, Police rode into homeless camps on motorcycles before the break of dawn scattering those who lived there. Probably they were hoping that this would force these holdouts into the shelters. The homeless scattered everywhere, but I doubt that many wound up in shelters. I lost track of them after that, although I ran into some who would find a spot in a doorway or alcove and sleep there for the night, and maybe somewhere else the next night, pretty much always on the move.

One success story was a young girl whose name eludes me now after more than ten years. She was living in a box with her boyfriend directly across fron the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on the side of a hill camoflauged by trees and wild shrubs. As I recall it was fashioned out of wood and pretty nice as homeless camps go. One fact I recall is that she had a Scottish last name even though she was African American--MacDonald, MacGergor, MacIntire, or something like that. Apparently there was some intermarrying between Scots and Blacks at some time in the history of the Hampton, Virginia, area from which she came. Anyway, this young lady became pregnant. She was concerned about the welfare of her unborn baby but she didn't want to return to her home in Hampton until she was back on her feet. She had excluded the idea of aborting her baby but worried about what to do. I guess we must have talked her into contacting her mother and she was surprised that she wanted her to come home. I drove her along with one of her and my homeless friends down to Hampton. Her mother received her with open arms. We later heard that she had a healthy baby and had found a job and was getting ready to go to work. That's how I recall it now, but some facts may be jumbled. I think I have it written down somewhere, if I can find it.

Anyway, there is nothing like being instrumental in helping someone like that. It really warms your heart to see it all work out, especially after you have seen so many tragedies. For example, six of the people I helped under the bridge between K Street and the Whitehurst Freeway died during those 6 years--three of alcoholism, two murdered, and one of AIDS. The life of a truly homeless person is often quite short.
that's as we used to say back in the day a pretty heavy story there aslan.
i'd have to think that you racked up some ev for your self some where down the line doin all that. :1st:

jack.jackson

aslan said:

One success story was a young girl whose name eludes me now after more than ten years. She was living in a box with her boyfriend directly across fron the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on the side of a hill camoflauged by trees and wild shrubs. As I recall it was fashioned out of wood and pretty nice as homeless camps go. One fact I recall is that she had a Scottish last name even though she was African American--MacDonald, MacGregor, MacIntire, or something like that. Apparently there was some intermarrying between Scots and Blacks at some time in the history of the Hampton, Virginia, area from which she came. Anyway, this young lady became pregnant. She was concerned about the welfare of her unborn baby but she didn't want to return to her home in Hampton until she was back on her feet. She had excluded the idea of aborting her baby but worried about what to do. I guess we must have talked her into contacting her mother and she was surprised that she wanted her to come home. I drove her along with one of her and my homeless friends down to Hampton. Her mother received her with open arms. We later heard that she had a healthy baby and had found a job and was getting ready to go to work. That's how I recall it now, but some facts may be jumbled. I think I have it written down somewhere, if I can find it.

It seems like I hear more and more of these stories, about how local enforcement keeps trying to tun the homeless off. For example, in this small city, there was like 10 homeless people living in this wooded area about 5 five years ago. As soon as the local police department found out about it, they went and cut down the trees and bulldozed the land.

It seems to me, they keep trying, harder and harder for you to live a homeless life.

1. Inflation
2. Cost of fuel
3. Convicts must provide, proof of Address'es, before being released from prison.
4. Must provide proof of address, to recieve wellfare.
5. In the early 90's, they started handing out disability checks, like it was candy.
a) I dont see this as a solution, because in only contributes to inflation. So, for those that are destitute, it only makes it that much harder to survive.
6. Throwing homeless people in jail.

It seems like the goverment, will go to any lengths, to hide the fact, that this isnt a perfect world. Back in the 60s and 70s, before all these laws and technological BS, everybody just didnt seem to be much happier, they were much happier. People could survive on pennies, even without foodstamps. Today, neighbors hate each other. Everybodys in competition with one another. And we dont even know its happening.
The truth is, over the years, we've made several tens of thousands of people suffer, just because of those who didnt want to look at it, didnt have to.
Do you really think, the DUI laws are enforced for the safety of other Americans? Think again!

Watch fight club again and youll understand why Edward Norton says he wants to dump 55 gallon oil drums on every beach in America.

Last edited:

aslan

One thing is that people who are "experts" on things like poverty and homelessness have never really gotten close to the subject they think they are experts in. If they had gotten close they would realize that their solutions are stupid and unworkable.

For example, when the experts drove the homeless away from their camps under bridges in DC in the 1990's they thought they were forcing homeless people to go to shelters where they would be properly cared for. The flaw in their solution is that some people will never go to a shelter even if you paid them handsomely to do so, and others would never be able to live up to the requirements, such as being sober. What the authorities did was make an already horrific existence even more horrific, which was practically impossible--but leave it to the authorities and their experts, they made their lives even more horrific, more painful, more devalued, more desperate, more hopeless, more difficult, more stressful, more degrading, ...I could go on. Why? Probably because some property owners nearby did not want these homeless people in their backyard.

Not all the neighbors were against the bridge people. Some of them would bring food to them. They were acting out of compassion. They saw suffering and they felt compelled to help.

When cars were broken into in the area, some neighbors automatically assumed it was done by homeless people living under a nearby bridge. If they had they paused to reflect, they would have realized that the bridge people would feel pressure to be good neighbors for fear of being expelled from their humble makeshift abode. I found out from the bridge people that the persons who were actually breaking into cars were individuals from a large homeless shelter a mile or two away and which had tons of city financial support. The culprits drew all the suspicion away from themselves and put it on the local bridge people. Ironically, the city's solution to the problem (the shelter) in this case was the source of the problem.

Last edited:

k_c

WW1 update

This week's (Dead link: http://www.bjstrat.net/Warrior.html) _WW1 update_. I'm slow. Next I'm going to try to find out how much faster I can generate data on a faster computer.

sagefr0g

k_c said:
This week's (Dead link: http://www.bjstrat.net/Warrior.html) _WW1 update_. I'm slow. Next I'm going to try to find out how much faster I can generate data on a faster computer.
lmao your not just slow k_c the war is over. :rolleyes:
but a new one wwII has commenced.
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=11192

so anyway what's your thoughts on the not enough simulated rounds for the number of possible shuffles issue? does it mean maybe we might be looking through a glass darkley so take it with a grain of salt sorta thing but still we know we might can get an edge playing trillions of rounds so your chances are still on a fairly solid footing? is this sort of thing we are discussing have anything to do with risk of ruin considerations?
edit: oops but you already know about wwII cause that where we was discussing this. lmao :eek:

Last edited:

aslan

Sage, jj and others

I went up to Altantic City this week. The difference getween Weekend Warriors and the casinos was staggering. The reality of what a grind it is to make a few dollars hit me like a ton of bricks. I won $350 in three sessions. The last session lasted six hours and broke dead even after being down almost $300. The first two sessions I played $10 tables which was actually two high for my bankroll criteria (100 X mad bet). The third session was at a $5 table which fits a br of $5,000 perfectly. Fortunately, I also won $150 at Deuces Wild VP--I hit four deuces for $250 on a 25 cent machine, but my net gain at the end of the day was $250. Unfortunately, the home where my Mom lives called me about her having a blood clot in her leg, so I cut my trip short. She is in the hospital getting blood thinner to break up the clot; it will probably take another day. There is always a chance that the clot can break loose and go to her lungs which the doctor says would kill her. So even though I don't think the lung scenario is high risk, it still keeps one on edge.

It just occurred to me that had I played my third session at the $10 table instead of the $5 table, I would have been down nearly $600 during that session, which is far more than I ended up winning. Variance is a bear! When it's real money, it brings home the reality that counting is still GAMBLING!