West Virginia Blackjack Game (Future)

eps6724

moo321 said:
I don't think you could make an argument from the bible that drinking is always wrong, unless I missed something. And since we're told not to add to God's commands, it is wrong to command people never to drink or gamble..
Hece my point of adding to God's 'Absolute' law with man's 'moral' law. But, the case CAN be made that gambling-( and drinking) in many cases leads to STUPID decisions which can ultimitely lead to hurting others by our actions-which IS against the laws of scripture. So, I guess: don't be stupid and learn how to AP!:)
-EPS

eps6724 said:
Hece my point of adding to God's 'Absolute' law with man's 'moral' law. But, the case CAN be made that gambling-( and drinking) in many cases leads to STUPID decisions which can ultimitely lead to hurting others by our actions-which IS against the laws of scripture. So, I guess: don't be stupid and learn how to AP!:)
-EPS
Exactly. Christianity is very light on taboos, probably less than any other religion. Thus any activity that is reconcilable with loving God and your neighbor is acceptable in a Christian's life. Deciding what those activities are, to what degree and in what manner are the challenges.

aslan

eps6724 said:
Actually, it wasn't the Christians...
Interesting discussion, EPS.

eps6724 said:
And I didn't vote for gaming in Ohio not because of my pro-religious beliefs, rather because of my anti-government beliefs.:whip:
Yes. For years government condemned gambling. Now they take a larger cut than even the worst of the illegal operations.

eps6724 said:
Remember what Winston Churchill said: "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for everything else!"
LOL

aslan

eps6724 said:
-EPS
I do not see that gambling and drinking lead to anything. Excessive gambling and excessive drinking is another story, because both excesses impair judgment. I do believe that both excessive gambling and drinking are against both man's law and God's law, in the latter case, because it makes an idol of pleasure and/or money. The Bible does have something to say about drunkenness, and anyone who, for instance, gambles with his rent money or food money for his family is obviously acting irresponsibly.

eps6724

aslan said:
I do not see that gambling and drinking lead to anything. Excessive gambling and excessive drinking is another story, because both excesses impair judgment.
Right, excessive gambling and drinking-that's what I meant to say.

Now, about gun control...:devil:

bj bob

Automatic Monkey said:
Exactly. Christianity is very light on taboos, probably less than any other religion. Thus any activity that is reconcilable with loving God and your neighbor is acceptable in a Christian's life.
Dost thou, O Monk consider the denizens of the pits (i.e PB's) as thine neighbor? Verily I say unto thee that with mine own eyes I have seen thee reek havoc and pestilence upon them, leaving them wailing while weeping and gnashing their teeth!

Gambling

The government has a specific economic definition, referring to wagering money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.:flame:
=========================================================
williamrichard :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

aslan

williamrichard said:
The government has a specific economic definition, referring to wagering money or something of material value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning additional money and/or material goods.:flame:
Government definition: 99% advantage (an uncertain outcome) still equals gambling. :confused: Dang! I must be an addicted gambler and I didn't even know it! Whadabout 99,999%? By government definition, everyone is an addicted gambler! Even when you work a 9 to 5 job, you're betting you will get paid for the work you perform.

wvbjplayer

Do not go to tri-state racetrack!!!

The dealers hand-shuffle and the games are rigged. I lost $3,600 before I finally figured out that they were bending face cards in order to enable dealing seconds, maybe even thirds. Wish I could bring a lawsuit...

wvbjplayer

aslan

bj bob said:
Dost thou, O Monk consider the denizens of the pits (i.e PB's) as thine neighbor? Verily I say unto thee that with mine own eyes I have seen thee reek havoc and pestilence upon them, leaving them wailing while weeping and gnashing their teeth!
Are we supposed to treat PB's as human beings? I better go to confession. :eek:

aslan

williamrichard said:
I guess technically the state lotteries do mathematically qualify as an event with an uncertain outcome. But the way I see it, it's pretty much a sure thing you will lose. It's like betting the sun will not shine tomorrow--eventually, if you play long enough, you will win that bet, too.

SystemsTrader

wvbjplayer said:
The dealers hand-shuffle and the games are rigged. I lost $3,600 before I finally figured out that they were bending face cards in order to enable dealing seconds, maybe even thirds. Wish I could bring a lawsuit...

wvbjplayer
When did they start having pitch games in WV?

aslan

zengrifter said:
Sin = Miss the mark. Gambling is a distraction from God. zg
Gambling is not a sinful distraction--only when it distracts one to excess, same as someone who works too much, but not from necessity; or vacations too much, beyond what is reasonable with respect to his responsibilities to God, family and community in general. Even overdoing adoration to God can be "sinful" in the sense of missing the mark, if it distracts one from God's plan for his life. From this idea comes the joking statement that a particular person is so spiritual, he's no earthly good! This is not meant to suggest that some persons are not called exclusively to a life of contemplation, e.g., Trappist monks.

bj bob

aslan said:
Even overdoing adoration to God can be "sinful" in the sense of missing the mark, if it distracts one from God's plan for his life. From this idea comes the joking statement that a particular person is so spiritual, he's no earthly good! This is not meant to suggest that some persons are not called exclusively to a life of contemplation, e.g., Trappist monks.
I am currently over-contemplating the apparent contradiction of this statement.
-- A former inmate of Berryville