My trip to the party. ...long

I have only been studying BJ at all for about 4 months. I had previously been playing poker at a pretty proficient level, but got bored and wanted to try something else. But with some help from this site I was able to arrange to meet some real APs and i was real nervous as I hadn't been able to practice for the last month due to work. But I had previously gone to some local stores and was able to count successfully in the environment. So i was quite anxious the whole drive out to a location. I got there early on purpose to do some scouting and play a little to warm up.

I sit down at a fine shoe game at first base and start playing for a while. I had sat down with only 20 units and had turned it into 60 units. I had one massive shoe and just a few small profit shoes. I feel i am warmed up and that i should get up and move instead of camping. As I do a lap and a man at the 2d game turns around and introduces himself to me. Then inviting me to sit and play. But i had never studied 2d although i knew the indices and irc because i studied the book but never really practiced. Nor have i ever even played or try to count a pitch game so I opted to watch and observe a well trained hunter attack its prey. After a few shoes and a walk around i felt comfortable counting and sat down at a game.

WOW no wonder everyone loves 2Ds :grin: . This was incredible I had never had an opportunity to play a 2d game and this was like a revelation. I had a pretty good cover act going and was able to count uninhibited. It was something that really lit a fire in me. I had a few counting mistakes before i got in the groove but i can just flat bet until the new shuffle. I had just turned 20 units into 140 units. When I wasn't at the tables I was able to watch and look at other APs play. As well as when they had time they could observe me. This was tremendously helpful. To be able to see if your on the same page as another AP even using a different system, understanding why they did something or asking a question directly is such a huge advantage. So after our sessions we decided to have a little meeting discussing strategies, experiences, etc... Being able to talk about everything and meet these great people was fantastic. But soon later everyone went to bed and prepared for day 2. I ran some sims in CVCX so i would be more prepared for the next day.

Day 2 started off well. I did a small lap of the pits before breakfast and found a 2D empty. I sat down and pulled out 60 units and played. This was amazing having this table to myself. I play and spread to 2 hands right when the deck hits the cut card. I make about 12 units before the table starts to get too crowded and i go get some breakfast. I was eating and thinking how crazy was that. I just counted cards and made money before breakfast. That afternoon i mixed up the 2d and shoe games due to crowds. But that night was really the climax of the whole trip. I did only mediocre in the afternoon. I sit down at a 2D game with some friends and I proceed to just take in the money like a shovel. Good dealer and the place emptying out as it got later really made conditions good. I really got comfortable playing and counting and talking. But as time wore on it became harder for me to count i couldn't add my own hand together, I was getting tired. But the dealer didn't seem to mind or the guy next to me giving me a tip here and there, I decided to go with it and use this as cover. So after a great game i am up to 240 units.

Day 3 I played in my first ever tournament. Which was interesting. I personally didn't understand what the strategy was but someone i know did well in it. It is definitely something i would look into further down the line. The place the tournament was held was crowded on that day so I didn't get to play much in the afternoon. But earlier I was saying that don't all newbie counters want to get 86'd or get heat to prove they have skills. I was pretty sure that was just something i needed to mark on my list. My cover was going great and I don't think i was spotted at all so far. Well at a game later that night I was playing with an acquaintance at the other end of the table, all to our selves. I was playing pretty reckless because my trip was soon to be over and i thought I was going to just play it to the max. Well I thought i heard some rumblings coming from the pit. Then a boss comes up to me and makes small talk but watches how i play and talk to him. He makes comments on my plays, i just keep doing my natural thing. In my mind, I am saying wow that was dumb i wish i didn't want to get heat in the first place. But keeping my cool and playing i thought was pretty difficult. Something i definitely need to work on. I just got up and left about even on the day.

Well over all it was a great learning experience for me. I had never gone on a trip like this before, or played for so long. I have only hit local spots and they don't have good games. Able to talk and have really brilliant APs observe and fine tune your game is just incredible. Discussions of cover, scouting, and other very cool subjects gave me a huge scope of things to tap into next trip. I felt really good about my game after this and got some confidence. Also being associated with these fine APs to me is fantastic.
::secret handshake:: ;)
This trip has changed my entire BJ career and has sent me off like a rocket into the awe inspiring world of the AP. I want to thank those guys for answering my stupid questions and really sharpening my game. It was great to see what a guy like me can become. See you there next time.

Cashed in on day one: 20 units
Cashed out on day 3: 270 units
Total profit: 250 units :grin:

PS. yes i know people are going to say it is variance. yes it is true i did get luck. According to CVCX I am .38 STD from 0. Probability of this result or better is 35.26%. 161 Expected units of profit.

Nice report

Trey is a young "BJ Phenom" and I believe his winnings are just what are to be expected, given his skillz and the game conditions.

Actually he easily could have won more. ;)

But... the most important thing about Trey is that he is an outstanding young man who I am sure is going to do great things with his life. He is also truly a "BJ Warrior" having all those special attributes that are far from common...a legendary AP on the rise.

I am honored to have gotten to know him. :)

CP

sagefr0g

creeping panther said:
Trey is a young "BJ Phenom" and I believe his winnings are just what are to be expected, given his skillz and the game conditions.

Actually he easily could have won more. ;)

But... the most important thing about Trey is that he is an outstanding young man who I am sure is going to do great things with his life. He is also truly a "BJ Warrior" having all those special attributes that are far from common...a legendary AP on the rise.

I am honored to have gotten to know him. :)

CP
yep, Trey's a natural.

sagefr0g

Treydog999 said:
I have only been studying BJ at all for about 4 months. I had previously been playing poker at a pretty proficient level, but got bored and wanted to try something else. But with some help from this site I was able to arrange to meet some real APs and i was real nervous as I hadn't been able to practice for the last month due to work. But I had previously gone to some local stores and was able to count successfully in the environment. So i was quite anxious the whole drive out to a location. I got there early on purpose to do some scouting and play a little to warm up.

I sit down at a fine shoe game at first base and start playing for a while. I had sat down with only 20 units and had turned it into 60 units. I had one massive shoe and just a few small profit shoes. I feel i am warmed up and that i should get up and move instead of camping. As I do a lap and a man at the 2d game turns around and introduces himself to me. Then inviting me to sit and play. But i had never studied 2d although i knew the indices and irc because i studied the book but never really practiced. Nor have i ever even played or try to count a pitch game so I opted to watch and observe a well trained hunter attack its prey. After a few shoes and a walk around i felt comfortable counting and sat down at a game.

WOW no wonder everyone loves 2Ds :grin: . This was incredible I had never had an opportunity to play a 2d game and this was like a revelation. I had a pretty good cover act going and was able to count uninhibited. It was something that really lit a fire in me. I had a few counting mistakes before i got in the groove but i can just flat bet until the new shuffle. I had just turned 20 units into 140 units. When I wasn't at the tables I was able to watch and look at other APs play. As well as when they had time they could observe me. This was tremendously helpful. To be able to see if your on the same page as another AP even using a different system, understanding why they did something or asking a question directly is such a huge advantage. So after our sessions we decided to have a little meeting discussing strategies, experiences, etc... Being able to talk about everything and meet these great people was fantastic. But soon later everyone went to bed and prepared for day 2. I ran some sims in CVCX so i would be more prepared for the next day.

Day 2 started off well. I did a small lap of the pits before breakfast and found a 2D empty. I sat down and pulled out 60 units and played. This was amazing having this table to myself. I play and spread to 2 hands right when the deck hits the cut card. I make about 12 units before the table starts to get too crowded and i go get some breakfast. I was eating and thinking how crazy was that. I just counted cards and made money before breakfast. That afternoon i mixed up the 2d and shoe games due to crowds. But that night was really the climax of the whole trip. I did only mediocre in the afternoon. I sit down at a 2D game with some friends and I proceed to just take in the money like a shovel. Good dealer and the place emptying out as it got later really made conditions good. I really got comfortable playing and counting and talking. But as time wore on it became harder for me to count i couldn't add my own hand together, I was getting tired. But the dealer didn't seem to mind or the guy next to me giving me a tip here and there, I decided to go with it and use this as cover. So after a great game i am up to 240 units.

Day 3 I played in my first ever tournament. Which was interesting. I personally didn't understand what the strategy was but someone i know did well in it. It is definitely something i would look into further down the line. The place the tournament was held was crowded on that day so I didn't get to play much in the afternoon. But earlier I was saying that don't all newbie counters want to get 86'd or get heat to prove they have skills. I was pretty sure that was just something i needed to mark on my list. My cover was going great and I don't think i was spotted at all so far. Well at a game later that night I was playing with an acquaintance at the other end of the table, all to our selves. I was playing pretty reckless because my trip was soon to be over and i thought I was going to just play it to the max. Well I thought i heard some rumblings coming from the pit. Then a boss comes up to me and makes small talk but watches how i play and talk to him. He makes comments on my plays, i just keep doing my natural thing. In my mind, I am saying wow that was dumb i wish i didn't want to get heat in the first place. But keeping my cool and playing i thought was pretty difficult. Something i definitely need to work on. I just got up and left about even on the day.

Well over all it was a great learning experience for me. I had never gone on a trip like this before, or played for so long. I have only hit local spots and they don't have good games. Able to talk and have really brilliant APs observe and fine tune your game is just incredible. Discussions of cover, scouting, and other very cool subjects gave me a huge scope of things to tap into next trip. I felt really good about my game after this and got some confidence. Also being associated with these fine APs to me is fantastic.
::secret handshake:: ;)
This trip has changed my entire BJ career and has sent me off like a rocket into the awe inspiring world of the AP. I want to thank those guys for answering my stupid questions and really sharpening my game. It was great to see what a guy like me can become. See you there next time.

Cashed in on day one: 20 units
Cashed out on day 3: 270 units
Total profit: 250 units :grin:

PS. yes i know people are going to say it is variance. yes it is true i did get luck. According to CVCX I am .38 STD from 0. Probability of this result or better is 35.26%. 161 Expected units of profit.
again Trey thats a nice report.
just thought of one comment.
thing is maybe if we hadn't of been so enthusiastic about sitting and playing together is maybe we'd have wonged out more often of some negative situations. i know we did some but probably we'd of wanted to exit a bit more often and perhaps on the six deckers maybe wonged in a bit. maybe on our own we'd not have played such long sessions.
just some two cents wortha comments. lol.

The bottom line

sagefr0g said:
again Trey thats a nice report.
just thought of one comment.
thing is maybe if we hadn't of been so enthusiastic about sitting and playing together is maybe we'd have wonged out more often of some negative situations. i know we did some but probably we'd of wanted to exit a bit more often and perhaps on the six deckers maybe wonged in a bit. maybe on our own we'd not have played such long sessions.
just some two cents wortha comments. lol.
We ALL LOVE to play, and when you get a chance to play a game like you were playing who can blame you for *HAVING AT IT*, after all, when will you have another chance at a game like that?????.....................................................NEXT SUMMER:laugh::laugh:
:band: :laugh::):grin:;)

CP

Yes i definitely agree that I could have wonged in and out more. SystemsTrader was much more disciplined and on the ball of wonging in the proper counts. But the opportunity to even see other APs play a game and study it is incredible. The trade i think was worth it. now my own personal game will be more effective.

sagefr0g

Treydog999 said:
Yes i definitely agree that I could have wonged in and out more. SystemsTrader was much more disciplined and on the ball of wonging in the proper counts. But the opportunity to even see other APs play a game and study it is incredible. The trade i think was worth it. now my own personal game will be more effective.
right ST was probably employing exit strategies more than the rest of us. but i noticed you did as well, and lmao, i think i could tell when you wanted to but just didn't so as to hang with your friends.:) kind of had that squirming in your seat look about you, lol at times, i noticed. think we all did and thats good.
like CP implies, fine games so heck if you wanted you could spread enough to make up the differance. and you was doing just that. i was playing a bit chicken in that regard.
my wife keeps raving about what a fine young man you are. i keep feeling like telling her he's a predatorial canine with sharp teeth. lmao.

Last edited:
Trey, Sage

Treydog999 said:
Midwest Masters, the game you were playing that last night, *those conditions* were not really the best for wonging out, think about it....

In that game, "with very strong indice play", you can turn the situation back on the house, even in the doubling and splitting arena. What I did the night before was no mistake or stab in the dark, while I did not win I did manage a push and really should have won, and that is just one example. I actually find myself very excited in those situations, while it is a challenge true, it is also a great opportunity to be creative. Remember you also will only have a min bet out, usually ;). (And I do mean Minimum).

In the situation you were in that evening, either of you wonging out could have been a mistake, heat wise. It would have been a signature that an intelligent laser guided, "eye in the sky", would have for sure honed in on and confirmed its mark.

Neither of you should have any doubts as to your play that evening, you were true, "BJ WARRIORS". :cool:

CP

sagefr0g

creeping panther said:
In that game, "with very strong indice play", you can turn the situation back on the house, even in the doubling and splitting arena. What I did the night before was no mistake or stab in the dark, while I did not win I did manage a push and really should have won, and that is just one example. I actually find myself very excited in those situations, while it is a challenge true, it is also a great opportunity to be creative. Remember you also will only have a min bet out, usually ;). (And I do mean Minimum).

CP
yep, that was a classic. lol.
and you inspired me so much i got excited and tryed one that wasn't even allowed by the game rules. lmao. good thing to cause i'd of lost that one.:rolleyes::whip: i don't even think mine was a valid indice anyway, just got silly.:)

sagefr0g

team effort at bj bash a short story

taking advantage of an errhh, uhmm situation let us say. my wife who has less than flawless basic strategy skill sat and played all at a fine multiple deck game flat betting an excellent table min. me i just stood by her as her helper so to speak. given all that and some details best not told, our prospects of making $15/hour, given other considerations that i'm not at liberty to discuss, were excellent. so i just helped her along with her basic strategy over her course of play. as luck would have it she experienced a fair amount positive fluctuation. and further i happened to notice that a particular shoe became happily rich in aces & faces. asking her if she'd like to take a small gamble, she obliged by laying out a 'big bet'. as luck would have it her hand turned into a split with one double down. the dealer completed the fortunate gamble by kindly busting, lol.
so to make a long story short as a result of excellent conditions shall we say, some positive fluctuation and a fortunate gamble, the wife ended up after a few hours of play or so with a short term yield of circa $30/hr. :cool2:

Lol!!

sagefr0g said:
taking advantage of an errhh, uhmm situation let us say. my wife who has less than flawless basic strategy skill sat and played all at a fine multiple deck game flat betting an excellent table min. me i just stood by her as her helper so to speak. given all that and some details best not told, our prospects of making $15/hour, given other considerations that i'm not at liberty to discuss, were excellent. so i just helped her along with her basic strategy over her course of play. as luck would have it she experienced a fair amount positive fluctuation. and further i happened to notice that a particular shoe became happily rich in aces & faces. asking her if she'd like to take a small gamble, she obliged by laying out a 'big bet'. as luck would have it her hand turned into a split with one double down. the dealer completed the fortunate gamble by kindly busting, lol.
so to make a long story short as a result of excellent conditions shall we say, some positive fluctuation and a fortunate gamble, the wife ended up after a few hours of play or so with a short term yield of circa $30/hr. :cool2:
Yes, Wise Won, how true :) I was playing a DD watching over my right shoulder and watched you and your lovely bride in action....I really did get a big kick out of that:laugh::laugh:

You know this is why I encouraged wifes, GF's, to come along on the "BJ BASH" to make it a family affair, I thought you and the misses were just great. ;)

CP

sagefr0g

GAGE COUNTY said:
How does a person get invited to one of these events? Sounds like a really cool experience.
yes, very cool.:) probably there will be another bj-bash this summer some where in the mid-west region. it'll likely take some time before specific plans. you may recieve a PM or you may send me a PM.

sagefr0g

my trip to the party... it's long too

MID-WEST BJ BASH
MMOA
U of A
PREDATORS

it was cold.
couldn't sleep the night before the trip.
too excited, anticipation.
the games are known, excellent games.
fine six and double deck.
sims and stats, expectations known.
game plans drawn
set out early, before dawn.
luggage and bankroll stowed.
snacks on hand, coffee.
odometer set, time noted.
heading North, expected travel time, nine hours.
it took eleven.
pulled out of the driveway.
the wifes already nodding off.
weather is fine, just cold.
warm, in the car.
cities, towns and countryside passes by.
this is a road trip.
we are heading for panther territory.
part of the stealthy ones wide estate.
i take note along the way.
billboards for casino after casino.
but we drive on, further and further.
i mentaly note that another course if taken
would be as rich in casino's far and wide.
more of the panther's abide.
and now it's wilderness no cities, towns or even farms.
primordial beauty abounds. i expect to see
deer, moose, elk and maybe even a bear.
but it just begins to snow.
and snow.
this new car has yet to be tested by me in the snow.
she tracks well and true.
a bell rings, strange what was that?
a bell deep in the wilds, for i had failed to fill the gasoline tank.
my wife explains how we'd better not run out of gas.
in this snow and wilderness.
i reply how it's an old romantic ploy for girl and boy.
NOT! she replies, "you'll be hoofin it for gas",
fougetaboutit.
and she tells me by her time we will be late to register for
the fine promotion the stealthy one has arranged.
i ask her what adventure she wants to share with me next.
as i nervously glance at the gas gauge.
i comment, my how the snow is really comming down and ask
do you really think we will be too late, what ever shall we do.
"just find some gas", she retorts.
and there in the pristine winter wonderland was a gas station.
and the snow kept comming down with renewed fury.
spun out cars and a truck or two.
when we were passed, my how the snow blew.
road weary as we were
like the snow our minds in blur
there came into sight as dusk drew near
a sight that was most dear
a resort nestled along a lake
inviting us our rest to take.
my wife on seeing this no longer weary.
this place is so inviting, warm and cheery.
protection from the wind, cold snowy night so dreary.
huge fire places burning warm,
people in this place hustling and bustling about.
the wife having succesfully registered
rushs up too me luggage in tow
"we are all set"
"and your not gonna believe what we get!"
a gift, money back, slots tokens
and more best left unspoken.
it was in the cards, we would eat good.
off to our room, a room with a view, what a view, snow covered landscape, pine trees and lake.
my wife flopping on the bed,
exclaims,"what a deal!" and i thought, just as the panther said.
we unpack, get comfortable and my cell phone goes off.
System Trader's on the hook.
so down in the lobby i go for him to look.
he knows me by my old worn faded blue ball cap.
and that's how i met this wonderful chap.
a trader for real indeed and most adventuresome gentleman indeed.
well travelled pilot, skydiver and a climber this fellows done about most every deed.
that i'd only dreamed i might one day do.
System Trader had already scoped the casino,
so he showed me about as i did follow.
fine blackjack games he did point out,
and all just seemed too delicious to try out.
besides we were hungry so for dinner we did meet.
fine food and excellent conversation we enjoyed at our table.
where i learned of System Trader his adventures and travel
and asked far to many questions with still many more.
then it was time, with full belly, for a nap, a short rest.
then down to the tables to give the games a test.
two hours flat betting i'd made 30 smackers
and noticed a very young gentleman at a table near
a way about him i thought i could decipher.
and i was correct, Treydog was here.
and then i notice a gentleman speak with Trey, and that was Creeping Panther.
so now we've all met, shaking hands in our commoradory.
the bj-bash is about to make history.
so thats what we do, is we play blackjack.
MMOA is on the attack.
Treydog is winning like crazy,
Panther is up,
System Trader is up, down and up.
me i lose my thirty up at a craps min so low i just had to try.
so back to the tables, best i could do is survive.
the games and conditions are swell.
on and on into the night goes our blackjack foray, so many stories to tell.
i hit a hard twelve against a dealer five in a low count,
making a ploppy table mate have to spout.
ha, ha next table over the stealthy one gets a kick out of this.
and so it goes into the night
our fantastical bjbash, commrades do fight.
a break for a meeting, discussion and telling tales,
like in bjinfo.com tradition, true friendship prevales.
so the next day after a fine free breakfast there is much to mention,
unfortunately the details breaking our cover i have no intention.
lets just say promo's can be fun and lucrative.
another day of the bj-bash is unfolding. i nail down a bj tourney final table, not a win but ohh so close, i found Ken's writings most instructive.
another great meal we all now share.
a pleasure us four, my wife and CP's wife were there.
and then Creeping Panther did us each the honor of honors,
bestowing upon us a most gracious gift, our garmets bearing the MMOA coat of arms.
in the great comfortable lounge we sit and shoot the bull,
and there i learn that Treydog hasn't confidence full.
i try my best to make him realize he's more Top dog than Tredog.
it was such a pleasure to watch him play.
his comming out on top, his perfect play made my day.
Trey has an act of acts to beat all acts, so much fun to watch.
System Traders courage, fortitude and his catching the dealer's hole card is something i will never forget.
and Creeping Panther's play is smooth as silk spun with confidence that wins the bet.
me i knuckled down on that double deck,
just to show i could keep it in check.
so i got demolished in a dream count six deck shoe one on one.
the hole i fell in not to be undone.
still for these experiences i would pay
if we could do it all another day.

Last edited:
Wise one-Trip

Dear Wise One,

I will tell you that I was *VERY* touched by your exceptional report of the "BJ Bash". What a nice gift your report was and for me.. a great finish to a fine year. :)

You and the wife are truly *Outstanding* people, as were all the other participants. :cool:

It is people like yourself, the wife, and all the "Predators" that add so much in a big way, to my life experiences. Small things can mean so much.

You are all :1st:

Wishing you all the best of the Holidays, and may you all continue your winning ways. ;)

CP

Wow

Wise one, That was quite the piece of art. It was definitely great to read. I really thought it was a time where my game changed forever. Everyone who attended was great. Stealthy one, Thanks again for the invite. I hope everyone has a happy holiday season. Hopefully people find the time to play some games. I unfortunately have to be in hibernation for a few months.