Isn't Count Favorable for Dealer Too?

There's just something that I need to clarify. So if the count is high and the odds are favorable for the player to be dealt ten/ace cards, doesn't the dealer have those same odds to deal him/herself a good hand? If that's the case, why does it become good betting strategy to increase the bet? :rolleyes:

E-town-guy

True both you and the dealer are likely to get 10s and aces but there are still other cards in the deck, 2-9. Lets say you get a 10 and a 5 and the dealer gets the same hand with a 5 showing. You stand the dealer hits and gets another 10, thus 25. The idea behind increasing your bet is the dealer is more likely to bust than when the count is lower. Also worth mentioning is that you're more likely to get a blackjack when the count is high. Of course this isn't a sure thing and only increases your edge by a few percentage points so there'll be lots of times when you'll get 18 or 19 with a high count/bet and then the dealer will flip over his hole card and he'll have 20.

LeonShuffle

You'll also do better on your double down opportunities. And like E-Town said, although the dealer has to hit her stiff hands, you don't. And if you and the dealer traded blackjacks all day long, you'd be a rich man.

Spinner said:
There's just something that I need to clarify. So if the count is high and the odds are favorable for the player to be dealt ten/ace cards, doesn't the dealer have those same odds to deal him/herself a good hand? If that's the case, why does it become good betting strategy to increase the bet? :rolleyes:

You are correct, the dealer does have same same odds as pulling a 20 or 21 as each player. But, if you control the table you can play multiple hands, so it's the dealers one hand vs. your 4+ hands.

Actually, that's incorrect...

JeffMa said:
You are correct, the dealer does have same same odds as pulling a 20 or 21 as each player. But, if you control the table you can play multiple hands, so it's the dealers one hand vs. your 4+ hands.
Actually, that's incorrect - playing multiple hands against the dealer is NOT how specifically the counter's edge is derived. zg

zengrifter said:
Actually, that's incorrect - playing multiple hands against the dealer is NOT how specifically the counter's edge is derived. zg

Yes I know that, I was only pointing out one of the ways to maximize your bet when your at a high plus number and at a table with open spots. Trust me I don't need a lesson on the tricks of the trade.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming his username is legit, Jeff is a master of understatement with that comment. Jeff Ma is one of the players from the now infamous MIT team.

Welcome aboard Jeff.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I feel the need to clarify though...

Jeff's comment in this thread is not on target for the question asked. Playing multiple hands isn't required to get an advantage over the dealer in high counts. E-town-guy and LeonShuffle covered most of the reasons why high counts are better for the player than the dealer, but I'll recap...

You'll get more blackjacks. So will the dealer, but he wins only even money while you get 3:2.

You'll get better results on your double downs (though you'll get fewer opportunities to double!)

The dealer will bust more often, because he must hit on totals of 12 to 16. Compare that to an increased value of your ability as a player to stand on stiffs in high counts.

Mikeaber

I will add my $.02 in here. It is very much an honor to have all of you renowned players participating. I look forward to the insights I know will be gained from each of you. I appreciate your participation here and applaud Ken's vision in putting together a combination of sites devoted to this game we have such a love-hate relationship with!

KenSmith said:
I feel the need to clarify though...

Jeff's comment in this thread is not on target for the question asked. Playing multiple hands isn't required to get an advantage over the dealer in high counts. E-town-guy and LeonShuffle covered most of the reasons why high counts are better for the player than the dealer, but I'll recap...

You'll get more blackjacks. So will the dealer, but he wins only even money while you get 3:2.

You'll get better results on your double downs (though you'll get fewer opportunities to double!)

The dealer will bust more often, because he must hit on totals of 12 to 16. Compare that to an increased value of your ability as a player to stand on stiffs in high counts.

My point was simple (and it's my fault for not being clear) is if you are playing multiple hands you can win more money when the count is in your favor (master of the obvious I know). But playing multiple hands is by no means required to have an advantage over the house. But if you are in team play and get called into a hot shoe and there are multiple spots open you should play as many as you can. Although I suspect most people are not into team play and are attacking the house solo.

If you are playing one hand and get a good count then suddenly start playing 4 hands and continue to do this over and over again when the count is high then you are asking for trouble.

Last edited:
Playing multiple hands can REDUCE profits...

...in posi-EV counts. Due to the potential counter-effect of excess card depletion, multiple hands should only be played in direct relation to the #other spots in play:

optimum #hands -

zero others = play 1 hand
two others = play 2 hands
three+ others = play 3 hands

Example: Playing 3 hands heads up in +counts will win LESS money that playing only 1 hand (assuming the bets are correctly sized either way). zg

zengrifter said:
...in posi-EV counts. Due to the potential counter-effect of excess card depletion, multiple hands should only be played in direct relation to the #other spots in play
This applies and runs counter to what jeff posted EXCEPT where your BR can support max bets that are larger than the house limit. zg

PokerJunky

Over the past few weeks I have had extremely poor luck when the TC has reached a favorable condition. I have gone on stretches where I lost 10 straight hands finish up a shoe, thus experiencing some huge losses. It's getting very frustrating and really makes you doubt sometime. I understand in the long run I have +EV, but again it can shake you up a bit even if you’re playing the correct max bet/bankroll.

Last edited:

xxx

Mulitple hands

I am sure Jeff is simply stating that when there are other players at your table and the true is high, one might want to consider spreading your hands to simply capture a greater percentage of the high cards. If memory serves me correct your two handed unit should be about .72 of your one handed unit...or somewhere around there...I forget, it's been a while. Maybe Jeff can confirm or correct the unit(s).