Easy counting tactics!

Cardcounter

I use the cancel each other out method of counting in my mind. Lets say that you are dealt two cards a 5,10 well instead of counting it as plus 1 and minus one I simple count the 10,5 together as 0. I find that it is easier to keep track of more cards faster and more acurately this way. lets run a scenario here there are 3 players at the table first base is dealt
10,5,3 player 2 is dealt 5,6,7 player 3 is dealt 10,5,10

the dealer has 7,10
here is how it works on the first hand the 10,5 cancel each other out leaving only the 3 left for plus 1 on the second hand the 5,6 add plus 2 the count for total of plus 3 on the third hand the 10,5 canel each other out and then there is 10 left for minus 1 3-1 is plus 2 next the dealer has a 7,10 for a minus 1 you subtract 2-1 and you get a running count of plus 1 all of sudden you are playing with 1 more high card than low.

Yeah man thats how I was doing things when I was into Hi-Lo. Makes life easier.

A lot of people actually recommend that you wait until after every player has their first card dealt to them to start counting. So, you start counting when everyone is getting their second card and then yeah...what you said.

Plus I found that by doing this, I was able to look at a full table and sometimes, I would non instinctively count the whole table with only a few glances.

Also, I would count down decks by 2's to practice canceling out the cards. It works.

Mimosine

i can't imagine counting each card individually.

at this point, i can cancel out a whole table in a matter of seconds, having only to add or subtract 2 or 3 (typically) to my RC at a time. this allows me to talk freely, interact with the dealer, and watch the pit.

ChefJJ

This is good advice for those just grasping the counting concept. MANY card combinations cancel out, so why hassle with each individual card.

This is part of the reason why seating yourself at one of the bases is strategic positioning...at first base, you can count all the original two-card hands dealt prior to your play; at third base, you have the opportunity to count all the played hands prior to action. In the middle is, well, in the middle.

good luck