negative counts using Zen

BUZZARD

I played what I thought was an interesting hand while practicing on Verite with complete Zen count using half deck estimation.
Suddenly I had an early running count of -9 and looked down at 12v dealer 5. She had only dealt half a deck.
I barely use any negative indices, but 12v5 (-2) and 12v6 (-1) are two of them.
So my understanding is that I hit this 12 anytime the count is -2 or less. In my hand I would need a running count of -11 with 5.5 decks left to reach this threshold so I should stand here at -9.
However Verite indicated I had my -2 true count I assume because I have the estimation set on "round" instead of "truncate" .
I am not sure which estimation setting to even use. It seems that rounding makes me play more aggressively, at least in this case.

So I decided to stand on the 12 against my Overlords wishes, knowing that I did not have quite enough negative count to justify taking a shot at improving my hand. I guess that if i had it set on truncate It would have said my true count was -1 and indicate the correct play to stand?

Anywho I stood and expected to be blasted with the error warning but It did not sound. This further confused me- I double checked Verite and the Hard/Hit table says to
Hit<Value. Does this mean it has to be -3 true to hit this 12 v5? It had no problem with me standing here even though the software had calculated I had reached -2 true.

It worries me that I am at first overestimating the true count enough to make the wrong index play and when I make the right play anyway, Verite doesn't even care.

Thanks for any thoughts

DSchles

If the indices you use are floored, it means that you need a floored true count of strictly less than -2 to hit. If the TC is -2 exactly, you stand (although it hardly would matter in that case).

Regardless of what CV tells you to do (it depends on the settings you've created), you were right to stand. You made the TC to be -9/5.5 = -1.64. So it really wasn't all that close.

Don