12 vs. 2. Only one player should take a hit?

SecurityRisk

OK, I'm sure you've all run into a problem where you hit your 12 against the dealer's two, and got yelled at by other players. But here's a weird thing that happens to me often. I will be at a table, where other players in fact know that you should hit a 12 agains a 2. But what if there are two players with 12's? The general concensus among players is that only one of the two players should take a hit.

Huh? What in the world is the rational behind that thinking? Why should only one of the players hit their 12? I'm sure no one at this board thinks this way, but what in the world is going through these players' minds?

By the way, does it drive anybody crazy besides myself when a player says "I hit my 12's against a dealer's 12."

Mikeaber

Dumbfounded

The only thing that intrigues me more (and amuses me!) than the antics such as you describe at the Blackjack table are the superstitions surounding and abounding at the Craps table!

More than trying to justify the mythologists at the BJ tables (there's no hope for the superstitions at Craps!), I would be extremely interested more so in how those who know and accept the percentages of Blackjack react to such shanagins at the BJ table! Do you make your correct play and just ignore the hostiles? Do you try to explain Basic Strategy to them? Do you pretend ESP type abilities (I couldn't spell phsyic correctly). Do you get rude and tell them in essence to mind their own business and leave you alone?

In my case, my response usually depends on the atmosphere of the table. Sometimes I'll joke about the play if the table is really not terribly serious. Sometimes I'll explain the Strategy cards. Most of the time, I just smile and ignore them.

SweetAxtion

I always play with a Basic Strategy card on the table in front of me to hold up or point at when people scoff at me hitting my 12's versus 2's and 3's...A few weeks ago with a high count and over 4k on the table after doubles and splits...my last hand to play out was a 12 versus the dealer's 2....I didn't hit because of the high count...of course the dealer pulls a 9 followed by a face card...I was soundly berated by the player beside me for not playing according to the Basic Strategy card in front of me and telling me "that card isn't voodoo, it's based on mathematics"...I just said "oopps..." because I couldn't just announce that I didn't hit because of the great possiblities of 10's coming our way.

Mikeaber

SweetAxtion said:
I always play with a Basic Strategy card on the table in front of me to hold up or point at when people scoff at me hitting my 12's versus 2's and 3's...A few weeks ago with a high count and over 4k on the table after doubles and splits...my last hand to play out was a 12 versus the dealer's 2....I didn't hit because of the high count...of course the dealer pulls a 9 followed by a face card...I was soundly berated by the player beside me for not playing according to the Basic Strategy card in front of me and telling me "that card isn't voodoo, it's based on mathematics"...I just said "oopps..." because I couldn't just announce that I didn't hit because of the great possiblities of 10's coming our way.
:eek: Caught with your hand in the cookie jar!

I play at The Sands when in AC and Luxor in LV since I typically do best in these places, I'm supersitious too so I use it all up on the choice of location and leave my superstitions behind once I get to the tables.

Never have I been bothered about my play and I don't use exact basic strategy so I'm sure some people think I'm nuts. You guys always mention this though, do you really get harrassed if you make a non-BS play or a play the other players don't think is right? Seems ridiculous.

Mikeaber

chasekwe said:
I play at The Sands when in AC and Luxor in LV since I typically do best in these places, I'm supersitious too so I use it all up on the choice of location and leave my superstitions behind once I get to the tables.

Never have I been bothered about my play and I don't use exact basic strategy so I'm sure some people think I'm nuts. You guys always mention this though, do you really get harrassed if you make a non-BS play or a play the other players don't think is right? Seems ridiculous.
I seldom EVER deviate from Basic Strategy so the complaints against me come from people who themselves do not know right from wrong. The most common are those we all get occasional odd looks about....hitting soft 18's against 9 and greater....splitting 9's against a 9 (or 8)....doubling on soft 19 against a 6 on tables where dealers hit soft 17's. That kind of thing.

I really don't worry myself about someone elses weird play....those players seldom last very long before running out of money.

newyorkbear

The only deviation I ever do is staying on two sevens against a ten. Not real sure why the chart I use says to do that in a SD or DD game,but it does so I do.
That gets me quite a bit of flak on occasion,but as I'm almost always at 1st base so its not as bad as if I were at 3rd.
Last year,at the Edgewater, I'm playing 1 on 1 ,sitting in the middle at a $5 table. This semi-drunk biker sits at 1st base and starts betting multiple greenies.
Twice I stay on 7-7 against 10 and both times the dealer pulls a six to beat us. The guy's pissed but I explain to him I always do this and after awhile he sees I know what I'm doing. We make some small talk and the game goes on. I'm winning a bit,but he's getting hammered.
Down to a single green chip,he pulls out what looked to be his last C-note and says money plays.Of course,I get another 7-7 and the dealer shows a ten.I show him my
cards and he offers to buy my hand,for my bet. Dealer says you can't do that,but we nod and make a silent agreement.I hit and bust. Dealers hole card is a five and he draws a six to beat the guys two queens. Biker dude curses and leaves,looking like he wants to punch somebody out.I never did get my $5 from him.

SkyBoy

newyorkbear said:
I never did get my $5 from him.
:D

But the most important thing is that he understood not to stick to BS all the time.

It is better to stand rather than to bust even if I have 14 and the dealer has 10.