3,4,A H or S

sabre

You seem to have trouble interpreting basic strategy charts.

When a strategy chart has two options listed, that should be read as "Do the first option if possible, if not, do the second option". Doubling is usually only an option on the first two cards. For this reason, you'll see entries on a strategy chart of D/S, which mean, "Double if you can, otherwise stand". If there's only a D, that always means "Double if you can, otherwise hit". Most doubles are of the double, else hit variety. The soft 18s are the exception, hence the D/S terminology.

Surrendering is similar. You'll see R/H or R/S. For example 16vT is a R/H, while 17vA is a R/S in a H17 game.

Sonny

It depends on the dealer's upcard. Usually you would stand with a 3-card soft 18, but against certain upcards it is better to hit.

-Sonny-

politcat

Sonny said:
It depends on the dealer's upcard. Usually you would stand with a 3-card soft 18, but against certain upcards it is better to hit.

-Sonny-
ok. so what's the general rule so i can memorize it?

hit on a dealer high card, stand on a low?

Last edited:

Renzey

politcat said:
ok. so what's the general rule so i can memorize it?

hit on a dealer high card, stand on a low?
From page 58 of B/J Bluebook II regarding basic strategy for multiple card soft hands:

"A) Never, ever stand on any kind of soft 17.
.B) Hit a multi-card soft 18 against a 9, 10 or Ace only.

and if soft doubling on two cards is not allowed:

C) Hit all your A/6's or lower -- and stand with all your A/7's or higher against a low dealer's up-card."

daddybo

politcat said:
on another thread I'm not getting a response for this:

what is the index for 8 v 5?

:)
What kind of Count or is it Basic Strategy?

It's a Hit in BS - I believe -- it will vary with different counts.

Last edited:

21gunsalute

politcat said:
true, but it doesn't really matter, does it?!

KO 6 deck pivot = -4 ... so I just do the math, like I18

so what is the index?
Well I gave it to you in the other thread but I was told that my info wasn't accurate, or some such nonsense. And I believe that KO has its own set of indices.

aslan

politcat said:
true, but it doesn't really matter, does it?!

KO 6 deck pivot = -4 ... so I just do the math, like I18

so what is the index?
As I recall, it's double at +4 (KO +4, that is) and above, but I don't have the book handy.

Just watch the blackjack scene in the Burt Reynolds movie "Heat" when Mr. Reynolds gets 10 9 against the dealer 10 up card.

He then says to Cas, the dealer, who is his friend, "I got 19 Cas, you got a ten up card, but I know something, your downcard is a picture card. That means you got 20, my 19 is no good. I need 21 to beat you."

Cas then says to him "do you want me to hit your 19?" Mr. Reynolds says "There's something heavy on my shoulder Cas, luck is right here with me.... yes, I want you to hit my 19 with the 2 because 19 and 2 is 21, that means I win. Go get me my 2 Cas...."

The rest is history. That's how you play a hand of blackjack... too bad that hand was for $5, and he lost the $125,000 hand using the same strategy later on in the movie.. heartbreaking scene.

Last edited: