a question

Bacchante

Perhaps this should be in the math section but I have a question, maybe a silly one, but it's this: when playing in a game where doubling down is allowed after getting a third card one should still double a 3 card 11,10,9 (and 8 on an index play) according to basic strategy, correct? Most likely it's another low card out of the shoe. Or, one has received an ace and now has a soft hand to double, again according to basic strategy. (btw, I play Hi Lo with I18) I know most games that offer a 3 card dd don't pay 3/2 blackjack but the game I know of does. Thanx for any input.

FLASH1296

You play the three (3) card double exactly the same as you do the two (2) card double.

Noteworthy:

If, as in Span21, there are bonuses for multi-card 21's and you can surrender
after doubling or redoubling on any number of cards then some peculiarities
of that complex game enter the situation.

Last edited:

NightStalker

Incorrect statement

FLASH1296 said:
You play the three (3) card double exactly the same as you do the two (2) card double.
[SIZE]

Not even close to optimal strategy..
If you are suppose to stand after double, You double way less than orignal blackjack..
If you can hit/double after double, then you double way more than orignal blackjack..

@Original Poster, If you need optimal strategy with index, PM me exact rules of the game with count?

FLASH1296

No re-double was indicated; merely the ability to double a 3 card hand.

As there is no surrender after doubling, there is no change in Basic Strategy.

I would much appreciate your explaining why you imagine that I am mistaken.

Last edited:

NightStalker

I apologize if my comment was harsh..

FLASH1296 said:

No re-double was indicated; merely the ability to double a 3 card hand.

As there is no surrender after doubling, there is no change in Basic Strategy.

I would much appreciate your explaining why you imagine that I am mistaken.
Just trying to add my 2 cents..

If you can double on 3-card, why would you double on 2-card(low-total hand) say A-2 Vs 5/6? You can simply hit..
If you end up with a stiff - you saved money(as stiff is -EV always).
If you end up being another soft hand, you can still double with better EV..
Same concept is applied on DD on 9's and 8's(if you play indices)..

I am sure you(or someone) can figure out the math, otherwise I'll post details with explaination.

FLASH1296

Ahh. Well … You are correct on borderline situations when counting cards; but the O P stated the question re: Basic Strategy.

With Basic Strategy — under the rule change being discussed — I would not double A4 vs. 4 or A2 vs 5 in a shoe game or 9 vs. 2 or 8 vs. 6 in a DD game and perhaps a couple of others in a SD game.

Also, borderline pair splits (in a DAS game) gain some equity based upon the potential 3 card pair splits. e.g. 4-4 vs. 4 6-6 vs. 2 etc.

This slightly altered strategy is best viewed Risk Aversion.

Last edited: