Advantages of playing one on one with the dealer

Throwing out variance and sticking to the long term...Playing head to head...The dealer and the player are going to get two cards apiece to start the hand... Over the course of 1000 hands, there is going to be "X' number of Blackjacks dealt-and with only two players getting them, eventually they are both going to equal out...At some time. the dealer may have more or the player may have more, but eventually it will even out or be doggone close...Now-the caveat-with more players at the table, the amount of Blackjacks dealt out should still be the same-BUT-now the five players are now sharing the same amount of Blackjacks.."X" divided by 2 and now divided by 5...It may not give the house the edge (still the same # of BJs), but it looks like my advantage is cut down.

FLASH1296

Instead of 50% of the Blackjacks you will get 20%.
But, you will only get 20% of the hands dealt now,
… so it remains perfectly proportional.

Of course you can always play yourself and
then you'll get 100% of the blackjacks dealt.

:grin:

1000 hands

I'm not sure I follow you...Remember-I was using 1000 dealt hands for my analysis...If, over the course of that, let's say there should be "X" number of Blackjacks, but now you are sharing them with other players...Nobody at the table is getting 20% less hands...(No time limit on getting the 1000 hands)...And when I was first thinking about this-- I imagined single deck--multi deck games are going to produce more Blackjacks--but the total BJs are still divvied up amongst the players--One guy is not going to get 23 and another player gets none--( I realize that could happen, but I'm throwing out variance for this)...

Renzey

Cubbiefann23 said:
I'm not sure I follow you...Remember-I was using 1000 dealt hands for my analysis...If, over the course of that, let's say there should be "X" number of Blackjacks, but now you are sharing them with other players...Nobody at the table is getting 20% less hands...(No time limit on getting the 1000 hands)....
Over the course of each players' 1000 hands, he stands to get so many 16's, so many 20's, so many pairs and 47 blackjacks, whether he's heads up with the dealer, or at a 7 handed table.

If you're thinking that other players at the table are going to soak up your blackjacks, then they're going to soak up your 16's too.

shadroch

Cubbiefan,
With two hands dealt, the dealer will, on average, get 50% of the BJs, correct?
With five hands dealt, the dealer will, on average, get 20% of the BJs dealt,
correct?
So why hasn't your advantage increased greatly?

As its fairly safe to say your edge hasn't improved, it's also safe to say it hasn't cut it either.
You and he will still get BJs approx every 21-22 hands, no matter how few or how many players are involved.

Last edited:

Nynefingers

When it's you and the dealer, there are 2 hands in play, so a total of 2000 chances for a blackjack in 1000 hands. You get 50% of the blackjacks. With you, the dealer, and 3 other players, there are 5 hands in play, for a total of 5000 chances for a blackjack in 1000 hands. You get 20% of them. Since a blackjack occurs roughly once every 21 hands, you get the following:

2000/21*.50 = 47.6
5000/21*.20 = 47.6

In other words, it makes no difference.

How many Blackjacks can there be in 1000 hands?

Shadroch and Renzy...After 1000 hands, playing the dealer heads up, I can expect 47 BJs (every 21-22 hands)...If there are four more players sitting in, you're both saying they can expect the same results--but that means there would have to be another 188 BJs in those 1000 hands...and after counting the dealers and my BJs, that's 282 BJs in 1000 hands dealt---over 25%...that can't be right, I still see Blackjacks shared....Gotta tell ya though-Blue E' - I'm willing to share my 16s...

Renzey

Cubbiefann23 said:
Shadroch and Renzy...After 1000 hands, playing the dealer heads up, I can expect 47 BJs (every 21-22 hands)...If there are four more players sitting in, you're both saying they can expect the same results--but that means there would have to be another 188 BJs in those 1000 hands...and after counting the dealers and my BJs, that's 282 BJs in 1000 hands dealt---over 25%...that can't be right, I still see Blackjacks shared....Gotta tell ya though-Blue E' - I'm willing to share my 16s...
You were originally talking 1000 hands per player.

shadroch

Cubbiefann23 said:
You are missing the point, and using bad math. After the cards are dealt 1,000 times head up, you have recieved 500 hands, and the dealer has gotten 500 hands.
You can both expect around 22 BJs, one every 21-22 hands.
After 1,000 hands with four players are dealt, you and the dealer have each only played 200 hands, and can expect around 9 BJs. Your ratio doesn't change. Your math is flawed.