Am I ready?

Am I ready? I have been battling it out with the free strategy trainer on this site and this is what it looks like. The rules are the same in the strategy trainer as the game I will be attacking and are fairly standard. I'm using a 1-12 spread. (5-60) Oh, and the game i'm going to be attacking has worse penetration than the one I ran in the simulation. (4/6 pen compares to 5/6 decks played)
upload_2017-8-9_11-7-0-png.9031

Last edited:

KewlJ

Is anyone ever really ready? You prepare and at some point you jump in and play live.

4/6 pen is not a good game. If that is all you have available so be it. If I was forced to play 4/6, I would ramp very aggressively, like Max bet byTC3. Higher TC just won't appear very often. I also would have a plan to escape at least some of the negative counts....at least the worst of them.

Now to your graph. No labels, so does the left hand side represent Money won and the bottom rounds played? If so, it's an interesting graph. Big initial upswing (you should be so fortunate in real play), then a slump, then a strong rebound to a new all-time high (ATH).

The slump is interesting....imagine if you were playing for real got off to that fast start and then slumped, losing it all back down almost to where you started. How would you feel? That is not a question that I want you to answer, because you can't know until you've ridden that rollercoaster, but a player starting out would likely be pretty crushed at that point. Are you prepared mentally for that? o_O

Anyway, just some thoughts. When you think you are ready, jump in....that's all you can do. Best of luck to you. I hope you get off to that same fast start that is in your practice graph. :)

gronbog

Splittingten's said:
should be wonging more aggressively with poorer pen though. I just feel like wonging too aggressively is a dead give away. I tried it. Lurking around a table watching and watching then playing a few hands at +1 then 3 hands later you're gone and standing behind another table in the same pit doing the same thing.
Try the "White Rabbit" approach (BJA3). Start playing on a new shoe or one that is almost finished. You can "politely" wait for the shoe to finish so you don't "mess up the flow". If the count stays neutral or goes positive, then stay. If the count drops, Wong out after your first loss at -2 or lower (floored). Find a new table. Rinse and repeat. Ploppies jump tables like this all the time. Just don't over do it. Your over all session length should use the same considerations as if you were camped at the same table.

Okay, thanks. That's the approach I was going to be adopting. Don't really feel like suffering through hopelessly negative shoes. How can I jump in to a shoe that's almost finished though? Lets say 3/6 decks are remaining I have no idea what the count is.
Also, what do you think of the more aggressive approach of max betting at a TC of 3?

gronbog

3/6 is not what I consider "almost finished". By that I mean a shoe with only a few rounds left to play before the cut card comes out. As I said, you don't need to jump in. You can use it as opportunity act like a ploppy by offering to wait for the shuffle so you don't "mess with the flow". If forced to join, then bet minimum for those few rounds before the shuffle.

As for your bet ramp, I recommend the use of CVCX to craft your ramp to suit your desired EV, your risk tolerance and the tolerance of the pit for the rules and conditions of the game you will actually be playing.

21forme said:
You're not ready until you remove the errant apostrophe from your screen name :)
I second that!
It amazes me how many people, even college grads, misuse that to denote plurality.
It's a pet peeve of mine - I better never catch DonS doing it!

Yeah, I actually knew about the mistake when I made the account but somehow it slipped by me and I never figured out how to change it. I know that it's just a combination of a wors and is or....you know I think we may be slightly off topic.

Here's my updated graph, even though it doesn't really mean anything because I have hardly played any hands. Thought I might as well post it to get the conversation back on tracks.
upload_2017-8-10_15-41-52-png.9033

DSchles

xengrifter said:
I second that!
It amazes me how many people, even college grads, misuse that to denote plurality.
It's a pet peeve of mine - I better never catch DonS doing it!
If you live to be a thousand, there's ZERO chance you'd ever see me write that kind of drivel. :)

On the other hand, I see it ten times a day on this and other boards (or is it board's? :)). Kinda sad.

Don