Am I the only one who gets mad

Sucker

21forme said:
I recently had a dealer chastise me for doubling an A8 v 5 in a + count. He said, "you should never double a soft 19." I answered, "isn't this why they call it gambling?"

An AP friend of mine rarely makes this play because he believes it's too attention-getting. What do you think?
Let me get this straight - he's afraid to double down on A-8 vs. 5,when his gain is something like 4-5%; yet he's NOT afraid to spread 12-1 (or whatever) when the count goes up and his edge is 1%.

It's been MY experience that SPREADING ones' bets attracts more attention than doubling on A-8. What do YOU think? Or am I the only one who believes this?

Why even count cards, if you don't have the balls to make the correct play? :laugh:

FLASH1296

It is unequivocally true that your bet spread is what "draws the heat."

That understood, as I said the only plays that I do not make where indicated are splitting Faces and doubling soft 20.

StandardDeviant

Thunder said:
If you don't know the best strategy...I don't think you have any business telling someone what to do.
I agree, but think how quiet the world would be if only those who really knew what they were talking about were the ones allowed to speak.

blackchipjim

strategy plays

I think we all have witnessed some pretty questionable plays but hey, we play our game to our index numbers. It's agreed that spread will draw attention more than index plays but when you stand on your 16 against a face with your big bets out time after time and win? I tagged an old man as a counter once and observed his index plays but he pulled it off because of his age. The gleam in his eye when I grinned at his plays assured me he was onboard with the count.;)

Sharky

blackchipjim said:
...The gleam in his eye when I grinned at his plays assured me he was onboard with the count.;)
you should be a writer, that is good stuff.

perhaps you missed your calling there bcj