As & 8s

Wongster

Anyone employ any indices regarding when not to split these cards. I just use basic indices for standing on stiffs and doubling when the dealer shows strength and for insurance. Last night I split As several times in deeply negative counts and just had a gut feeling that this might be the wrong move.

But I have not read anything yet that suggests doing anything different and saw no reason to get the table in a row over not splitting them.

zengrifter

Banned
When not to...

... split As and 8s is fairly rare - hitting AA against dealer A in a very negative count or standing 88 vs. dealer 10 in a very positive count.

Notwithstanding the above, I often hit AA regardless of dealer's card in order to keep the two Aces together (1-2D games) and it looks really stupid! zg

Not that big a deal

As ZG says there is a negative index for not splitting AA vs. dealer A but it's not very worthwhile. It's around -5 for a level 2 count I think, probably around -3 for High-Low.

If you are playing a game with surrender, surrender 88 vs. 10 in positive counts is a little more useful, as are all surrender plays.

zengrifter

Banned
The only time its a big deal...

... is when you wind up splitting 8s 2-3x with max bets against 10-A and lose them all... thats when it would have been good to know the index. zg

CanKen

A's and 8's

If the count is bad enough to consider splitting A's or 8's maybe you should be visiting your lucky urinal. (Mine is the third from the left:>)