Average # of cards per round for the dealer

Can someone please tell me the average number of cards per round that the dealer takes? I have a Word document where I keep notes I take from blackjack books and forums. I put in there that the average number of cards the player takes per round is 2.75. I`m not sure whether it`s exactly that number down to the decimal for the dealer too though, and I can`t remember where I got that figure from...

Last edited:

Dummy

The average for the dealer depends on how many spots are being played. If one spot is played the dealer doesn't take any cards if the players hand is resolved before the dealer's turn to play his hand (Player BJ, bust, or surrender). The more spots being played the less likely it is for the dealer to not play his hand out.

Dummy said:
The average for the dealer depends on how many spots are being played. If one spot is played the dealer doesn't take any cards if the players hand is resolved before the dealer's turn to play his hand (Player BJ, bust, or surrender). The more spots being played the less likely it is for the dealer to not play his hand out.
Yeah I got that, I just thought that there was a specific figure that averaged all possibilities (from heads up to a full table) together... I thought I saw it in one of the blackjack books I`ve read, but maybe it was only for the player side. Evidently next time I take notes I need to be more specific or it defeats the purpose of taking notes in the first place!

Got around to looking at my document again; I should have looked at it closer before posting because I pretty much found what I was looking for. The reason I wanted that metric is because I wanted to calculate the average amount of hands played per shoe when there`s various amounts of people at the table. I knew something like this had been done already, but I just couldn`t remember what book I got it from and didn`t want to read all of them again to find it. I`ll check the book below again to see if there are any more specifics (like if he calculated for 6 deck, what the pen was in his example, etc.). I really wanted the exact number of hands per shoe with various amounts of players vs. the hands per hour metric for certain reasons, but if not then this will be enough for me to estimate. From knowing the average rounds per player I can get a pretty good idea anyway. I have a feeling what I`m looking for is in either the book Blackjack Attack or Professional Blackjack. Displayed below for those interested:

Estimated number of hands per hour for 8 deck shoes (from Arnold Snyder`s Blackbelt in Blackjack):
1 player: 200 hph
2 players: 160 hph
3 players: 140 hph
4 players: 120 hph
5 players: 100 hph
6 players: 80 hph
7 players: 65 hph

KewlJ

SplitFaceDisaster said:
Estimated number of hands per hour for 8 deck shoes (from Arnold Snyder`s Blackbelt in Blackjack):
1 player: 200 hph
2 players: 160 hph
3 players: 140 hph
4 players: 120 hph
5 players: 100 hph
6 players: 80 hph
7 players: 65 hph
The problem with these numbers is that they are outdated. They don't take into consideration side bets, because there were none back then. If you are at a table with 4-7 players playing side bets, sometimes 2 or 3 different side bets, you are lucky to get half these hands per hour. Side bets slow the game to a crawl.

KewlJ said:
The problem with these numbers is that they are outdated. They don't take into consideration side bets, because there were none back then. If you are at a table with 4-7 players playing side bets, sometimes 2 or 3 different side bets, you are lucky to get half these hands per hour. Side bets slow the game to a crawl.
Exactly! When I mentioned 'certain reasons' for wanting to go the number of rounds route instead of the estimated time route, side bets was the main one.

I know you`ve had your hands full lately, but whenever you get the time, check your email please. Sent you something a week ago (or two?); wondered your opinion.