Bankroll requirements

Argh...I am trying to remain disciplined and NOT overbet my bankroll, and I need a bit of advice so I don't rush out to the tables ill-equiped.

About how much will I need to reduce my risk of ruin to 'acceptable' levels (10% or less) with a 1 - 8 spread...$40 being my 'big bet' to start off with?

I've heard that one should have about 150 - 200 times their big bet, which would put me at about 6k to 8k. Though, using half-kelly I guess I'd need about $5,500 (Assuming my high bets are at +4, which yeilds a 1.5% advantage - $82.50 for full kelly, or $41.25 ($40) for half kelly.

It's so tempting to go out with my 2K bankroll, but I don't think that amount justifies a 1-8 spread without a huge risk of ruin. And making less than $3 an hour is just laughable given gas prices, etc.

Should I bite the bullet and wait until I can sufficiently build up my bankroll?

Thanks!,

Dan

EDIT: oh, and I should probably note that my playing conditions are fairly mediocre. The best games available to me are two double deck games, one with fair penetration (about 65%), double 9-11 only, and double after split. The other has good penetration (70%ish), double 10-11 only, no DAS.

Last edited:

sagefr0g

Jumpfreak888 said:
Argh...I am trying to remain disciplined and NOT overbet my bankroll, and I need a bit of advice so I don't rush out to the tables ill-equiped.

About how much will I need to reduce my risk of ruin to 'acceptable' levels (10% or less) with a 1 - 8 spread...$40 being my 'big bet' to start off with?

I've heard that one should have about 150 - 200 times their big bet, which would put me at about 6k to 8k. Though, using half-kelly I guess I'd need about $5,500 (Assuming my high bets are at +4, which yeilds a 1.5% advantage - $82.50 for full kelly, or $41.25 ($40) for half kelly.

It's so tempting to go out with my 2K bankroll, but I don't think that amount justifies a 1-8 spread without a huge risk of ruin. And making less than $3 an hour is just laughable given gas prices, etc.

Should I bite the bullet and wait until I can sufficiently build up my bankroll?

Thanks!,

Dan

EDIT: oh, and I should probably note that my playing conditions are fairly mediocre. The best games available to me are two double deck games, one with fair penetration (about 65%), double 9-11 only, and double after split. The other has good penetration (70%ish), double 10-11 only, no DAS.
sounds as if you have found some double deck games with a $5 table minimum is that right?
well, what ever what i'd do considering your bankroll is just put my big toe in the waters so to speak. you know test the waters and see how you do.
limit the trip bankroll you take with you to the amount of your total bankroll you would be willing to lose. hopefully things will go well and you might just be able to build your bankroll. and then if things don't go so well you could go back to the drawing board and further build your bankroll by other means.
the bankroll you describe and the bet ramp and spread sound good to me for some cautious play. i believe your risk of ruin should be under 11% if your unit=$5

Last edited:

Kasi

Jumpfreak888 said:
A Kelly bet is not just bankroll*HA. So a Kelly bet with a 1.5% edge and a $5500 roll would not be $82.50.

A full Kelly bet is (bankroll*HA)/variance.

And variance depends on the game, bet ramp, etc. But maybe a good rule of thumb would be to multiply by .75 or so for the variance.

A better option is get a sim.