best counting system

I'm curious to hear thoughts regarding the best counting system out there. I've been using hi/low for years and I'm considering an upgrade to Omega II (carlson's book "blackjack for blood"). It seems to make more sense simply in the fact that 7s and 9s are now accounted for, as opposed to 7s,8s and 9s getting ignored. In addition, more negativity is placed on 10s (-2) vs. 9s (-1) which also seems to make a lot of sense. Has anyone out there had experience with Omega II? Any other thoughts?? :confused:

Card Counting Is Antiquated

If you read the relative "advantage" card counting systems give you, I am sure you've been disappointed. The system you're using was what the Bringing Down The House guys used, and they admitted that, due its small 2% advantage, they needed to make huge bets in order to get a decent return. More modern systems, such as Richard Harvey's, have jettisoned card counting because it is not a very precise way of going about things. (Example: with the system you're using, what's the count if four Aces were played and four 2s? Zero. What's that tell you? Nothing. There's an imbalance here but you haven't learned anything about it from the count. Tens, for instance, are now overdue, but a "Zero" count indicates instead that the cards are balanced.) More important, modern card analysis methods have surpassed card counting methods in results.
Best Wishes,
Donna
http://www.blackjacktoday.com

Scorcho

Oh christ.....

I'll ignore the spam and answer your question......

Anyways, the main debate of switching to a more complex count is whether or not you can do it accuratly. If you switch to a system that gives you an extra .5% edge, but you can't keep track of the count accuratly and keep making mistakes. Then that extra edge is no good, in fact, that system, to you, is worse than the one you're used to. To say which is the best is impossible. I've known people who have had great success with all of them, it all depends on what you're comfortable with in terms of trading off simplicity for a statistical accuracy. If you think using Omega II is gonna help you out (which it is mathematically stronger then hi-lo, if I remember correctly.) then go for it, but it's going to take you a good amount of time to learn it correctly, and that time is going to take away from your E.V, until you get good enough that the stronger edge balances itself back out with the time you lost learning it, which could take a while.

I think the answer depends on how smart you are. I think the best (maybe not the most practical) is remembering every single card that has been dealt. I saw this on a Malcom in the Middle episode, that kid is a mathematical genius!

Sonny

I would advise against using an ace-neutral system which requires an ace side count. They are very helpful in pitch games but will be too much trouble in shoe games. Also, ace-neutral systems do not lend themselves to shuffle tracking becuase the ace (the most important card) is not included in the main count.

I use the Hi-Opt II system which is almost identical to Omega II (except it is slightly better with insurance because it ignores the nines), but I don't think it is worthwhile for most players to learn any system that requires an ace side count to be effective. You would be better off looking at Zen or RPC.

That's just my opinion.

-Sonny-

Gregory

yellowjacket said:
I think the answer depends on how smart you are. I think the best (maybe not the most practical) is remembering every single card that has been dealt. I saw this on a Malcom in the Middle episode, that kid is a mathematical genius!
I saw the same in the movie Rainman. :D
Genius / Idiot Savant ... whatever.
Here I am trying to keep an accurate count with something as simple as Knock-out with wager ramps and and you all are talking side counts of aces and stuff.
Like that isn't intimidating.