betting question

ok so i know this forum is for blackjack primarily but i placed in a blackjack tournament on nine.com and they said i have to wager the money on sports before i can withdraw so i complained and now i can wager on blackjack but they gave me some free money to try on sports.

I was wondering about the money line. When it says like Patriots -140. That means i have to wager $140 to get $100 right as long as they win doesnt matter how much they win by. Well if I were to take a team like the patriots that always has a winning record could I not just bet on them every game and always win money for the overall season?

shadroch

If you did this for 10 games,and they win 8,at those figures,you'd come out well ahead.But as the team wins more,the line grows.
The lines on pre-season NFL games is meaningless,only the sickest folks bet them.

supercoolmancool

shadroch said:
If you did this for 10 games,and they win 8,at those figures,you'd come out well ahead.But as the team wins more,the line grows.
The lines on pre-season NFL games is meaningless,only the sickest folks bet them.
You are not sick if you have an advantage.

ScottH

andrew999 said:
ok so i know this forum is for blackjack primarily but i placed in a blackjack tournament on nine.com and they said i have to wager the money on sports before i can withdraw so i complained and now i can wager on blackjack but they gave me some free money to try on sports.

I was wondering about the money line. When it says like Patriots -140. That means i have to wager $140 to get $100 right as long as they win doesnt matter how much they win by. Well if I were to take a team like the patriots that always has a winning record could I not just bet on them every game and always win money for the overall season?
The fact that the line is minus means that you will have win more than 50% of your bets. If the bet was even money than betting a winning team would make you money. But in this case you have to risk more to win the same amount. A team can have a winning record, but if your betting them at minus odds then you can still lose money even though you are winning more than half of your bets. So the answer to your question is NO, you cant just bet a good team and win money, at least not in the long run.

http://www.madjacksports.com

Very good message board for sports betting...........go to the "flying pigskins" forum for the NFL. If you can wait another week, take the "under" in the Chicago/Cleveland game(aug 31). If you must use the money by this weekend, the best play is probably taking the Colts -3.5. Week 3 in the preseason is most the most like regular season in terms of how much the starters play, which is usually until the middle of the 3rd quarter. So the results of the game are very close to what you would expect in the regular season assuming that the guys who play the rest of the game are relatively equal on both sides. The Saints didn't look good last night on MNF, and they only have a five day turnaround being that they have to play on Saturday. The Colts haven't won a game this preseason, while the Saints have, so I think they will have a little more motivation to get a win to their credit, even if it is only preseason.....

Last edited: