Betting spread

I was wondering how exactly your betting spread affects your advantage and how it can be quantified?

For example - I see you guys saying that a 1-2 spread can't beat this and that.

I've come to the conclusion that having a bigger betting spread allows you to win a lot more at the high counts negating the effects of losing earlier. I'm not sure though, someone please explain :)

SystemsTrader

Well having a large betting spread does increase the amount you can make however a very large spread or the biggest spread possible might be counter productive. A large spread may increase your risk of ruin beyond a safe level for your bankroll. A spread too small might not be enough to overcome the house edge. The ideal spread is one which is considered optimal which can grow your bankroll at a decent rate without a huge risk of ruin. This is where sims come in handy.

QFIT

no_fear said:
I was wondering how exactly your betting spread affects your advantage and how it can be quantified?

For example - I see you guys saying that a 1-2 spread can't beat this and that.

I've come to the conclusion that having a bigger betting spread allows you to win a lot more at the high counts negating the effects of losing earlier. I'm not sure though, someone please explain :)
See the two pages starting at http://www.qfit.com/Book/ModernBlackjackPage110.htm

Do most pros factor the Kelly Criterion when it comes to using a bet spread? Say let's say that you are playing on a $ 15 table and you have a bankroll of $ 20,000 on the table - you are using a spread of $ 15 to $ 120 (1-8 spread)

Now if you happen to win $ 5000, you now have a bankroll of $ 25,000 - would you increase the spread or increase the unit size? If you increase the spread, you can use a $ 15 to $ 180 (1 - 12 spread). If you increase the unit size, you are now spreading between $ 20 to $ 160 whilst still retaining the 1-8 spread? Which of the two is a better option?

Conversely, if you happen to lose $ 5,000, then you might have to reduce your spread (which means less earnings) or reduce your unit size.