May your reach exceed your grasp.
Thanks again to HiNoon and to John,
I think I answered some of your questions in my response to HiNoon above re: my level of play.
As for two books being more than enough, I guess I must be a) an overachiever or b) exceptionally dense

) as I have already read at least 8 and am still wanting to learn more. Now--have I understood everything I read? Not even close. Griffin makes me dizzy and I believe myself to be incapable of grasping it all without an understanding of the basic concepts. And, while I certainly acknowledge and appreciate Don's contributions in BJA, and have learned *much* from it, I also find it to be quite choppy and confusing in some areas. I finally grasp something, and then a few chapters later, in another essay, I read that what he *once* believed and presented in a previous chapter, after further study and evaluation, is not the whole story, etc.
I own BJRM and don't use it as often as I should. I am grateful to Griffin, Schlesinger, Wong, and all the other website hosts (Thanks, Eliot!) & authors I have read as well as the posters on sites like this. I also acknowledge and agree with you that the math is complex. But I don't accept that because others already understand it all and have boiled various parts of it down for people like me means I should not attempt to understand it all!
I am grateful for your reaction to my question, because it has helped me to clarify my goals and reasons for pursuing them. I am pretty determined to learn the math concepts myself and not rely completely on the Masters for spoon feeding me what they have determined I need to know. I would guess that Wong & Schlesinger would be among the first to encourage such an endeavor. Their contributions have been a gold mine for many, but they have also spawned a generation of counters who are happy to have had someone else do all the work for them and are content to simply reap the rewards with little *real* understanding. I have been among this group, and I'm looking to reach higher.
I recall a blessing that goes something like, "May your reach exceed your grasp." That's where I'm heading with this.
Thanks,
TW