Blackjack Practice (originally posted by darksun)

LA Area

I live in Los Angeles and if anyone is interested in getting a practice group together- maybe once or twice a month thing- let me know and we can arrange it- I'm tired of practicing and dealing to myself.

ElementX

Re: LA Area

I had thought about doing this but it didn't seem like all that great of an idea. A lot of it has to do with my girlfriend probably freaking out about people she doesn't know coming to our apartment haha. I also found that it's a lot more efficient to use software.

-darksun

Sonny

>A lot of it has to do with my girlfriend probably freaking out about
>people she doesn't know coming to our apartment haha. I also found
>that it's a lot more efficient to use software.

I know what you mean! I bought a felt layout and materials to build my own table, but the wife keeps saying "we don't have enough room for another table!" Of course, we would never even THINK of getting rid of any of HER things!

I'm in the LA/Pasadena area, so if anyone starts a group I'm in. Software is great for drilling, but how are you going to practice your act?

I'm in LA and wouldn't mind starting a group since there doesn't seem to be one already set up among the guys here. Software is definitely a great tool but I find it gets very boring after a while, plus I don't know anybody who shares my passion for the game. My friends say I'm absolutely crackers and think that blackjack is boring and a waste of time.

ElementX

I go to Arcadia/Temple City area about once a month and should be down there round the 17th for a week or so. If something gets started I'm in.

kyzr

I have been considering building my own table as well. Do you (or anyone else) have a source for table plans? The only ones I can find seem a bit over priced since the project is pretty simple.

I am in San Diego and would be interested in practice sessions here. If there was a big get-together planned, I may be willing to drive up to LA...

thanks...

kyzr

PS great board Mayor!

>I have been considering building my own table as well. Do you (or anyone >else) have a source for table plans? The only ones I can find seem a bit over >priced since the project is pretty simple.

I wouldn't specially buy a table- use an existing one and attach the blackjack layout cloth onto it and that should suffice. As long it's playable.

>I am in San Diego and would be interested in practice sessions here. If there >was a big get-together planned, I may be willing to drive up to LA...

Yeah it seems like a few people are interested- sonny, reddevil, hinnon- if I'm not mistaken. I'm in West LA- some of you are near LA and some are not- I wouldn't mind holding a session here or driving somewhere also. A group of at least four would be good. Who'd be interested in a west LA session ?

ElementX

Sonny

Re: Blackjack Practice

Who's got a table? Or do we need to rent one? What about a space (garage, basement...anything nicer than the El Cortez)?

I have been considering building my own table as well. Do you (or anyone else) have a source for table plans? The only ones I can find seem a bit over priced since the project is pretty simple.

I am in San Diego and would be interested in practice sessions here. If there was a big get-together planned, I may be willing to drive up to LA...

thanks...

kyzr

PS great board Mayor!

And some chips

Since we would probably want to test betting strategies as well as point counts. I could grab some from Wizards on the Coast (or whatever it's called). I like the garage idea.

ElementX

Hinoon

Re: And some chips

Sounds like the beginning of a good idea.

It would help to determine what rules/count systems we're all trying to develop so that we can support eachother by verifying count/play.

Personally, I'm using the standardized "Vegas Strip" 6 deck S17, DA2. DAS, no surrender Basic that's distributed on one of the Strategy engines. I'm using this because that's the only place I play.

I'm also slowly working on a very basic +/- count. No side tracking, nothing. I start at 0 and hopefully at the end of the deck, I can tell you the value (+ or - ) of the last card.

The where and when of it is the next step.

Cheers

Re: And some chips

Hi Hinoon

>Sounds like the beginning of a good idea.

Hope so.

>Personally, I'm using the standardized "Vegas Strip" 6 deck S17, DA2. DAS, no >surrender Basic that's distributed on one of the Strategy engines. I'm using >this because that's the only place I play.

>I'm also slowly working on a very basic +/- count. No side tracking, nothing. >I start at 0 and hopefully at the end of the deck, I can tell you the value.
>(+ or - ) of the last card.

That's a good start- get some good basic practice in to start with

>The where and when of it is the next step.

We're both in West LA so let me know when you are available and we can work something out.

ElementX