Card Counting Question...

jaym_100 said:
When you count, do you count as the cards are delt or wait for all the hands to be out?
Both - wait for two-card hands and count those first, then dealer dard and player hit cards, then dealer hits. The order is different depending whether dealt face-up or down. zg

Gregory

Using a counting system like Knock-Out with the inclusion of the Insurance wager REQUIRES that you count the cards as they are dealt. As an example, let's say you are dealt a 2 and a 3 (1 + 1 = +2) and another player is dealt a 2 and a 6 (1 + 1 = +2) and the dealer has his ace (-1). The count is now +3 (2 + 2 - 1 = +3). Per Knock-Out the Insurance wager becomes profitable when the running count is equal to or above +3, so we make the insurance wager.
You couldn't do that if you waited until the hand is over before counting the cards.

Just from my experience, I find it easier to not count the dealer upcard until s/he flips over the other card. This is just my technique and I do it this way so that the dealer upcard doesn't get accidentally counted twice. I know that I could just be careful, but I think that this is easier, and easier can make me less likely to make other mistakes. The little that I sacrifice for insurance bets is probably so miniscule that it doesn't outweigh the simplicity. I use a higher level count, but with a lower level you are even sacrificing less.

Max