Check my math

Garo

Would some of you old guys with better math backgrounds than myself check my math on this one... I have a store nearby that offers a bonus square that pays 5:1 if the first two cards total 20 (actually its a variety of payouts, but I'm using 5:1 as an average). There are 169 ways to get two cards and 18 ways to total 20. That gives me an initial 9.4:1 to earn 5:1, a bad bet even to a ploppy. but I estimate that if I can get the deck rich enough so there are only 9.5 suits I would have the advantage. For that to happen I figure the count would need to be +3.5. Am I correct? Please show me the errors of my ways.

The Mayor

This is called Royal 20's

Everything about it matters, not just the "5-to-1" average payoff. Here are the payoffs,

unsuited 20: 5:1
suited 20: 10:1
suited pair (JJ,QQ,KK): 25:1

It can be beaten, but not very well using the high-low count. You have to use a specialized count, and then play it only above the cutoff number for that count. Yes, I have done the research, simmed it all out on a computer, and have played (and beaten) this bet bigtime. No, I will not share. :cool:

Best luck,

--Mayor

Well, how about just a hint for Garo...

... like maybe the multiple by which his count estimate is off?
zg(knows but not at liberty to say)

The Mayor

To the person who saw me play the bet

To the person who saw me play this bet a few days ago (I played 4 of them)...

Not quite sure what you meant by some of your comments, but thanks for noticing. Unless you are using the same count system as me, then your remark about +6 is meaningless...

Small town, small world, isn't it! Next time, introduce yourself (dammit).

--Mayor

Royal 20

From personal experience I can verify this side bet, when it hits, provides some of the best excitement in Vegas. The poor pit doesn't know what to do and they act like the rabbit from Alice in Wonderland scrambling around looking at each other wondering what to do. It's simply priceless.

Sounds like you have to weight pip 10's lower

That would be the approach I would start with, to factor in the higher multiplier for a face card 20.. For shoe you can have a quite decent count using different weights for 10 value cards or even for suits; look how well Red 7 works. Just a guess.

The Mayor

Request

I deleted your post on CSM's per a reader's request. Also, in this thread, you hint at ideas to beat Royal 20's (though I don't really think you give it away). I am just going to ask kindly for a little more restraint on your sharing of information. :cool:

Thanks,

--Mayor

Personally, I feel that...

... the Mayor's (and others') restraint on sharing side bet strategies and tactics* here unwarranted. Especially the 3-10 RoyalMatch - this side bet is so ingrained where its offered that it will never be tightened. zg

The Mayor

Respect to the AP community

When I get a single email from one AP asking me to withold/delete/not discuss a topic, you bet I will honor that request every time.

That's the nature of the biz,

--Mayor

Respectfully disagree...

...if that attitude prevailed there would be NO sharing of info, period. Further, why should specific info that is available at another more commercial forum NOT be shared here? What is the logic? zg

Sorry

OK, I was just pulling ideas off the top of my head, didn't think I'd be compromising anyone else's work, nor any work since I haven't done any work on the problem. Everything I know about BJ I've learned from boards like this and experimentation, figure I owe something back.

Some help may be gleaned from this thread -

Some help may be gleaned from this thread -

(Dead link: http://www.cardcounter.com/main.pl?noframes;read=2805)