Choosing a dealer.

BJLFS

I choose mine by speed and pen. If I get a slow dealer I night forget the count. :p

How about you?

Last edited:

jaygruden

BJLFS said:
I choose mine by speed and pen. If I get a slow dealer I night forget the count. :p

How about you?
Picked solely on penetration. Speed is nice but I'll take a slow 90%'er over a fast 80%'er any day. I'm sure if I ever start HC'ing, there will be other factors involved.

BJLFS

jaygruden said:
Picked solely on penetration. Speed is nice but I'll take a slow 90%'er over a fast 80%'er any day. I'm sure if I ever start HC'ing, there will be other factors involved.
If I had to choose between the two - though it would be close - I would probably pick pen too.

BJLFS

BTW I've had a dealer a couple of times who was so fast that her hands were a blur. Not kidding on this either. She must have approached 200 hands/hr.; playing heads up.

EmeraldCityBJ

BJLFS said:
If I had to choose between the two - though it would be close - I would probably pick pen too.
Unless penetration varies drastically, I would go with the faster game. It doesn't take too many extra hands per hour to cover a small difference in penetration. This factor comes into play more when choosing an empty table over a crowded table than it does in terms of selecting a dealer.

Other factors to consider when choosing a dealer are:
  • Are they a toke hustler and try to mess with you if you don't toke?
  • Are they just there to pitch cards, or are they looking for a promotion and think ratting you out will take them the next step in their career?
  • Are they a dual rate?
  • Do they bark out "checks play" or "black action" more often or more loudly than necessary?
  • Do they have a friend or family member who is in a management position or has an ownership interest in the property?
  • Do they make any effort to shoo away ploppies who might think about joining the table?

Friendo

Faster ones are easier to count

I also find the speedy ones easier to count.

A fast dealer, even if a talker, makes the counter wheels in my head hum along like they've been polished and greased. I get into a zone and my subconscious takes charge.

With a slow dealer, the little dials creak like dry, corroded gears in a disused marine hoist.

Gamblor

Friendo said:
I also find the speedy ones easier to count.

A fast dealer, even if a talker, makes the counter wheels in my head hum along like they've been polished and greased. I get into a zone and my subconscious takes charge.

With a slow dealer, the little dials creak like dry, corroded gears in a disused marine hoist.
Yeah nothing quite gets you into the zone like one on one with a fast dealer.

Bacchante

All things being equal, I choose the dealer based first on pen and then on speed. I like a dealer who keeps the chitchat to a minimum, occasional comments are fine, keep the game moving. Doncha hate dealers who invite kibitzers in, "come on in and play!"? (An all too common occurrence for red chip players like me.) Blatant toke hustlers I handle simply by not tipping. And how about the dealers who criticize your play? S18 vs 10, you hit, and it doesn't work out. "That was bad, you had 18, that's a good hand, you should stay on that" a dealer literally once told me. I wanted to say "I guess you don't know basic strategy do you?" , but I kept my mouth shut.