counting doesn't work

shadroch

I've been taking a more active role in keeping the board clean lately, but members like you don't have to worry about anything. I'll only be deleting empty claims and blatantly false information from the usual repeat offenders.

-Sonny-[/QUOTE]

I guess abstaining from those klan meetings is giving you mo time these days,eh?

bjcount

shadroch said:
i've been taking a more active role in keeping the board clean lately, but members like you don't have to worry about anything. I'll only be deleting empty claims and blatantly false information from the usual repeat offenders.

-sonny-
i guess abstaining from those klan meetings is giving you mo time these days,eh?
shhhhhh!!!!!

QFIT

He's right, counting doesn't work. I bought a dozen donuts. I counted them and there were eleven. I counted them again and there were ten. Each time I counted them, there was one fewer. Counting, like math, science and logic, are all complete frauds. AND it's fattening.

kewljason

QFIT said:
He's right, counting doesn't work. I bought a dozen donuts. I counted them and there were eleven. I counted them again and there were ten. Each time I counted them, there was one fewer. Counting, like math, science and logic, are all complete frauds. AND it's fattening.
I put your theory to the test, Norm and had very different results. I bought 5 cans of beets, :p and put them in the cabinet. The following day I counted again and still had 5. Today I counted again. Yep! 5! I am reasonable sure there will be 5 tomorrow and for many weeks to come (until the next food drive). :eek: And the good news. I didn't gain a pound. conclution: counting does work and is NOT fattening. :laugh:

QFIT

This is why letters are more important than numbers. Use an R instead of a T, and you will find completely different results with cans of beer instead of cans of beets. Conclusion: Running count changes more quickly than True count.

kewljason

QFIT said:
This is why letters are more important than numbers. Use an R instead of a T, and you will find completely different results with cans of beer instead of cans of beets. Conclusion: Running count changes more quickly than True count.
On that one I can't argue. Maybe counting doesn't work and is fattening. :eek:

kewljason

Deathclutch said:
The fattening part isn't that far off. I've gotten completely out of shape since I took this up.
Maybe you should adopt a different style of play. Wong & Walk! ;) Will help your game and waistline. A couple trips table-hopping up and down the strip each week will work wonders.

aslan

21gunsalute said:
Losing $3900 is not a "small sample" for me, nor do i believe it would be a small sample for most people. Can you make money at Blackjack by counting cards? Absolutely, but you can also lose a small fortune.
During my first several months counting, I had one particular session where I lost more than $5,000. The thing is, winning sessions are generally much less lucrative, but much more plentiful. When you win several sessions in a row, don't count it "all" as your money, because you still have to pay the piper, that is, you have to be cognizant of the fact that negative variance will come and wipe away a lot of those gains. Figure out what the sims say you should be winning, count that as your win and put the rest aside as a hedge against negative variance, if you have the discipline. I don't actually put it aside, but I do mentally note how far I am ahead of where I am supposed to be. It makes the losses more palatable.

21gunsalute

aslan said:
During my first several months counting, I had one particular session where I lost more than $5,000. The thing is, winning sessions are generally much less lucrative, but much more plentiful. When you win several sessions in a row, don't count it "all" as your money, because you still have to pay the piper, that is, you have to be cognizant of the fact that negative variance will come and wipe away a lot of those gains. Figure out what the sims say you should be winning, count that as your win and put the rest aside as a hedge against negative variance, if you have the discipline. I don't actually put it aside, but I do mentally note how far I am ahead of where I am supposed to be. It makes the losses more palatable.
What winning sessions?

Aslan

aslan said:
Are you kidding,,,,losses should never be "palatable"!:(

You should be self flaggelating yourself after each loss until you learn how to win and not accept defeat!!

CP

sagefr0g

if i'm counting correctly, Billy, you had 11 trips and a net loss.
no info provided how the money went by number of hands played, or hours played or even just by sessions. just curious did you ever get up on your money? did you ever take a break along the way and determine how things were going with respect to your expectations? did you ever ask your self just how proficient of a card counter am i and try and measure that degree against the most perfect player in the world (such as a computer or CP :) )?

but your right i suppose, counting cards against blackjack as far as advantage play is like ExhibitCAA has mentioned pretty much analogous to evolution where a tadpole was squiggling in the mud and slime only to eventually grow some legs and hop onto some dry land. :laugh:

just guessing because i haven't seen where you provided info on how you was betting, but i'd guess if you had a sim or penciled out the numbers correctly you might have figured a more conservative betting spread that might have been a bit less painful.
never been to AC but from what i know of it, i'd say it's more a place where the 'big boys' might be able to work something as far as blackjack goes.
probably with my little bank roll if i ever wanted to play there i'd just flat bet as low as possible and hope for some positive standard deviation and quit if i hit some, lol. maybe not even play any bj there and see if there are any better opportunities for making money there.

but anyway, yeah counting cards, especially against games the likes of AC (unless your heavily banked and have a load of tricks up your sleeve) is quite a trick to make it 'work'.
better games and it might 'work' better for the little guys such as me.

Sage

sagefr0g said:
if i'm counting correctly, Billy, you had 11 trips and a net loss.
no info provided how the money went by number of hands played, or hours played or even just by sessions. just curious did you ever get up on your money? did you ever take a break along the way and determine how things were going with respect to your expectations? did you ever ask your self just how proficient of a card counter am i and try and measure that degree against the most perfect player in the world (such as a computer or CP :) )?

but your right i suppose, counting cards against blackjack as far as advantage play is like ExhibitCAA has mentioned pretty much analogous to evolution where a tadpole was squiggling in the mud and slime only to eventually grow some legs and hop onto some dry land. :laugh:

just guessing because i haven't seen where you provided info on how you was betting, but i'd guess if you had a sim or penciled out the numbers correctly you might have figured a more conservative betting spread that might have been a bit less painful.
never been to AC but from what i know of it, i'd say it's more a place where the 'big boys' might be able to work something as far as blackjack goes.
probably with my little bank roll if i ever wanted to play there i'd just flat bet as low as possible and hope for some positive standard deviation and quit if i hit some, lol. maybe not even play any bj there and see if there are any better opportunities for making money there.

but anyway, yeah counting cards, especially against games the likes of AC (unless your heavily banked and have a load of tricks up your sleeve) is quite a trick to make it 'work'.
better games and it might 'work' better for the little guys such as me.
Sage,

Thanks!:eek::eek::eek:

TRIP REPORT...TRIP REPORT......TRIP REPORT......TRIP REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!

cp

sagefr0g

creeping panther said:
Sage,

Thanks!:eek::eek::eek:

TRIP REPORT...TRIP REPORT......TRIP REPORT......TRIP REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!

cp
in a few words, sometimes it is virtually impossible to lose and virtually impossible to not gain.
this trip was one of those times, in every respect.

tribute

QFIT said:

My count is killing me. I bought a dozen, there were exactly 12. I counted again and there were none!

aslan

creeping panther said:
Are you kidding,,,,losses should never be "palatable"!:(

You should be self flaggelating yourself after each loss until you learn how to win and not accept defeat!!

CP
Never lost in the long run--just some sessions. You should share your "win every session" count system with the rest of us. :laugh::whip:

Aslan

aslan said:
Never lost in the long run--just some sessions. You should share your "win every session" count system with the rest of us. :laugh::whip:
In the last few months I have, because I want all of the BJ BRO'S here to have success.:)

CP