Do you know what you look like when you're CC'ing?

How do you appear when CC'ing?

When I had seen a thread about this topic a long time ago, I was still new to card counting and I didn't really think or know that I'd ever need the thread's helpful tips at that time. I don't think that I ever gave it much thought until earlier today, when It dawned on me that it might just come in handy...

... How does the pit see you? That's probably one of the main reasons for the thread mentioned in the paragraph above. Anyway, earlier today, I was drilling on some CC'ing exercises. Since I had just awaken (it was late morning actually), I wasn't very enthusiastic about doing any counting exercises yet, but "practice, practice, practice" is hardly ever a bad thing. Well, after being off by +/-1 in an 8 decker two times (couldn't yet focus for crap), I chalked it up to still not being fully awake yet, but I did notice or feel my eyebrows scrunching a little bit and I started to wonder just how I looked when I was counting. I guess all of that must've jarred my memory because that's when I started thinking about that older thread that I had seen, and cameras and things.

The main point of the thread was something along the lines of getting a video camera setup, or something similar, and then recording oneself for awhile and then reviewing the tape. What a fine idea (I thought). Then, you'd be able to see how noticeable you probably appear to the pit staff when you're doing your thing in a local store. Once you get good at holding a conversation and still keeping on top of the count, it's probably a good idea to tape about a half hour of that too to see in what areas you need improvement. Tons of practice is definitely the way to improve your skill & speed, but sometimes (especially if you get bored with it) a person's just curious about their skill, and wants to know definitively how skillful they are.

I still consider myself pretty new to smartphone technology. I've seen maybe a little less than half a dozen young children (just older than toddlers) playing on smartphones and the thought always crosses my mind that their parents ought to make them go play outside or something (guess I'm at that age). But anyway, I'm only on my second smartphone. The first one was a hand me down, outdated model, so that I could tinker around with it and maybe learn a few things about Android OSes. The second one is the only one that I've bought myself so far, and that was mainly because of the screen size (it's almost 6") and the fact that I like to practice on a few CC'ing apps and download web pages when I'm near a hotspot that is available and free.

Most smartphones that I've either seen or read about have settings on them that enable one to take a video of themselves by setting a timer on the phone and then just making sure that they're in the picture when it starts filming. This is a pretty nifty way to see if you're concentrating too much, or if you're moving your lips every once in awhile. I've often thought that even though I've felt relaxed at it, I've probably displayed some outward tells that I'm doing something at the tables. The dealer may not notice, especially if the place is "standing room only packed", but I'm fairly sure that the pit boss probably looks around for those things. If you are able to fly under the radar of the pit, then the eye in the sky might notice it (at least after awhile). I'm now curious as to how I look when I'm CC'ing (especially after about 6 8D shoes). I hope I keep thinking about it until I film myself later on today or tomorrow. I hope I don't once in awhile look like I'm having a bowel movement or anything like that.

sagefr0g

interesting idea, imho.
something to keep in mind, it's something my mom told me on more than one occasion as i was growing up. she would look me in the eye, smile and say, "you can't fool an old fooler."
point being, pretty much any hustler can recognize another.
the salient point being, can you discern it in the pit and on the floor, far as the joints employees goes.
just me maybe, one thing that can help is being aware of your own comfort level, if you don't feel cool calm and collected, aren't at ease, then maybe cease action, and figure out what the problem may be.

Last edited: