Do you read?

bjcount said:
I think you are a bit above beginner/intermediate level. Does the software offer insight into the minds of the pros, how they play, act, behave? Does the software offer insight into advance techniques? Some of the more advanced strat books I haven't seen available in software. How about sharing some software names with me too....

Thanks

BJC
No no I don't have any commercial BJ software other than Qfit, but I have written a lot of Excel and BASIC routines to manipulate that output data for special purposes, like advanced techniques. My routines don't tell you what to do but they can give you an idea what to expect if you do it.

For example I wrote a simulator for the Royal Match sidebet for a player counting all 4 suits. Not very sophisticated, but it told me that if I am playing SD and I have a choice of either counting the BJ game alone or counting the sidebet alone, and I'm able to get a spread down, BJ is the better choice.

bjcount

Automatic Monkey said:
No no I don't have any commercial BJ software other than Qfit, but I have written a lot of Excel and BASIC routines to manipulate that output data for special purposes, like advanced techniques. My routines don't tell you what to do but they can give you an idea what to expect if you do it.

For example I wrote a simulator for the Royal Match sidebet for a player counting all 4 suits. Not very sophisticated, but it told me that if I am playing SD and I have a choice of either counting the BJ game alone or counting the sidebet alone, and I'm able to get a spread down, BJ is the better choice.
Bummer:cry:, I thought we hit pay dirt. I guess I'll have to keep looking for that vein of gold.:laugh:

BJC

BJinNJ

Yes, I read...

as much as I can.

I get my books from Amazon, Half.com and eBay, mostly.
I doubt I've spent over $200 for over a dozen excellent
BJ books and another dozen redundant/OK books.

There is a lot of info on the internet, but not everything or
every detail.

I just picked up Julian Braun's "How to Play Winning Blackjack"
book, Blackwood's "Playing Blackjack Like the Pros" and the
"TTL Cookbook" for my vacation reading. Cost $22, delivered.
(less than one current hardback best seller)

Kids today can't do arithmetic without a calculator, can't spell
without a spell checker, and read as little as is necessary. I'm
sure not that this represents all kids, but a major portion have dim
futures. They spend twice the effort trying to get out of ANY work,
than they would just doing the job in the first place.
(at least where I work)

Oh, well.

BJinNJ :cool:

And they might as well have their cell phones/mp3 implanted in their ears.

Last edited:

rukus

i am part of this "new" generation...

but have probably read about 20+ books on the subject of blackjack. i did it to learn on my own instead of being spoonfed on boards like these, but i also did it purely for the entertainment.

there is something to be said about being able to understand (and retroactively enjoy) the conditions/times that some of the "older" generation of players like uston went through. i still cannot get my hands on enough reading material because i just to read about this stuff (sorry guys, these boards do get repetitive after awhile :cry:). it's all just incredibly interesting to me, even as pure history. as a matter of fact i have no less than 4 books that i am partially through at the moment.

every so often i do refer back to the texts, but not once a week. probably more like once a month. the only exception might be Blackjack attack which i reread a chapter or two more often as the need arises.

blackchipjim

research

You have me pegged correctly as middle aged and generationly. No I don't believe that one source for information is the best course of action in any endeavor that a student takes. Call it what you will but you do not find all the information that is considered inside on the internet. You may have read alot on the internet but it may be out of context and without credentials. There are some masters of the game out there and some are right here giving advice freely. I learn from them tidbits of info on application to the game. I do agree some of the posters are beginners and some are just jerks but hey tell me you haven't met both at a bj table. :laugh: blackchipjim

Required reading for everyone should be the old CCCafe (CardCounter.com) archives which you can access from the main menu of this site. There are MANY in-depth discussions by our own ZG and others on many of the questions ya'll have now. BTW - for entertainment value, some of the threads featuring the LVHCM are a hoot ;)

Miss ya Robo. Aces and Faces baby! RIP!!

gg

Last edited:

MrPill

Never Know.

Yeah, never know who you will find around here. :grin:

gg, you still using Red 7?

Just getting ready for trip out to Sin City, wish me luck!

Good Cards to All,
Pill

Last edited: