Double Down on max bets

If I have a max bet out and have a hand/count that I should double down on(or split), do I double down? Does this cause me to overbet?

Sonny

Go ahead and split/double down if it is the proper basic strategy play. As long as you are not overbetting in the first place you will be fine.

Although, if you are using a very large spread then you might want to use risk-averse indices for your playing decisions. For example, the index for doubling things like 9 vs. 2, 11 vs. A and 8 vs. 6 are usually pretty low for most systems. If you are using a large bet spread then you might not want to make those plays until a higher count. Using risk-averse indices instead of EV-maximizing indices might be more to your liking.

-Sonny-

EasyRhino

Yeah, the only time I'd start to worry about it is if you're betting a substantial portion of your bankroll on that one hand.

In an extreme example, let's say you know your first card is an ace. In such a case, your advantage is nearly 50%. So, theoretically, you might bet 40% of your bankroll. In such an extreme case, you might not want to double down. If you like math, knock yourself out:

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/ACEbjfo1.pdf

But for regular counting, unless you're already overbetting your bankroll, or you're already at the ragged edge of full Kelly or more, I'd recommend just going for it.

ihate17

Some guy with a very small bankroll

Some time ago on some blackjack board there was a guy with a very low bankroll who was seriously overbetting spreading $10-$100.
My question to him was how will you handle putting $400, $500 or concievably up to $800 on the table in one round.
It is easy for some to say my max bet is $100 or $1,000 or whatever, but sometimes when you have that max bet out you have to split and then you could get more splits and some doubles on them. Up to 8 bets but 8 bets is very rare but 4 and 5 bets happen often enough. So it is a gut check and if your gut or bankroll can not handle putting that many max bets on the table, your max bet is too high for either your bankroll, your gut or both.

Sometimes it is a session killer, other times it is a session maker. On a recent trip with a max bet out I landed up with 4 eights, 2 doubles vs a dealer 7, the dealer did have 17 and I landed up with 18 or better on each hand for a huge win. Of course, I have had the opposite happen also.

If you are worried about doubling your max bet, think about 4 or more on the same hand and then check your bankroll and gut.

ihate17

moo321

The more max bets you have out, the less likely you are to double on marginal hands. You can hit some soft doubles, maybe save an index double 9 v. 7, or 8 v. 6.