Doubling down A,8 vs. dealer 6

Shoofly said:
Yeah, if you see a card suggesting that, there can be no other explanation. But as far as advice from PC & dealers, they simply don't understand the game. I am sure we have all been questioned by dealers when we hit 12 against 2 or 3, "But that's a bust card." Or when we hit A7 v 10, "Are you sure?" And forget about index plays. I had a dealer almost pass out when I hit 12 v 4.
The same people who freak out if you stand on 16 vs. dealer 10 are the same people who freak out if you double down on A,8 vs. dealer 6 (which as we have all determined is Basic strategy when playing H17 games). So you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. So just have fun with it.

I call out cards when I hit. For example when I hit A,7 against dealer (9,10,Ace) I say "you probably have a 10 under, so can't beat you with this hand, so you please hit me with a 3 please?" Just saying this softens the reaction of others around me, and believe it or not, I did get that "3" dealt to me a few times and everyone starts laughing.

Or if I hit 12 against dealer's 4,5 or 6. I will say, "I know you have a bust card showing, but you've managed to pull 21 on us several times before with that same card showing, so I'm going to hit and hopefully take those little cards from you...wink, wink." Of course the count is hugely negative and I know I'm pretty much going to get a little card. It's fun to make these comments to rationalize my stupidity or bravery depending on whatever the outcome is.

winnawinna

MangoJ said:
Why do you play "huge negative" in the first place ?
For what its worth...I play most all counts except when it really tanks which is about 1 shoe every couple hours. I have a huge spread so it makes up for the neg counts

MangoJ said:
Why do you play "huge negative" in the first place ?

I generally PLAY ALL and keep the number hands played per hour high. If count is negative I use the defensive negative indexes because in double deck the re-shuffle point comes quickly. I only request to drop the shoe or wong out when it's hugely negative and I'm losing, if count is negative but I'm winning most of the hands I stay in (betting 1 unit of course).

I'm sure this has happened to everyone, and it takes discipline and self control to not chase your winnings. After getting beaten down by losing a few big bets on shoes that had juicy high counts, I start winning and winning on shoes that have negative counts. I'm helplessly putting 1 unit out there and winning hand after hand. The dealer is saying "why aren't you betting more now this is your money back opportunity" and I'm thinking you are probably right, blackjack is a streaky game and for the moment I'm on a winning streak and I wish I could capitalize on it and put more money out, but the count is negative and I just can't allow myself to do it because I have to follow the system, win or lose.

Friendo

socal_bj said:
After getting beaten down by losing a few big bets on shoes that had juicy high counts, I start winning and winning on shoes that have negative counts. I'm helplessly putting 1 unit out there and winning hand after hand.
I have had 3 winning days recently that were due entirely to uncanny winning streaks with minimum bets on neutral to negative-but-above-wong-point counts. Blackjacks, splits, double downs, doubles after splitting: everything seemed to be a winner, but with tiny bets. During the big counts I lost money over all, but not enough to pull me under for the day.

Short-term don't mean nuthin' in this game.

The day-to-day narrative makes so little sense that I spend my time listening to the shamanistic, new-age, feng shui, Shaklee, Amway, astrology, flow, cargo-cult, Loch Ness Monster incantations of the ploppochracy.

I have recently been playing in Indianna and they have to announce everytime I ask to see the burn card. Soo I jusst stopped asking and count it as a high card. Very minimal heat compared to ac and soo much better playing conditions. Also I noticed when I doubled a7 against a 6 with a max bet out I was being observed for a little while ha.

pit15

jerseycounter said:
I have recently been playing in Indianna and they have to announce everytime I ask to see the burn card. Soo I jusst stopped asking and count it as a high card. Very minimal heat compared to ac and soo much better playing conditions. Also I noticed when I doubled a7 against a 6 with a max bet out I was being observed for a little while ha.
wtf, why would you count an unseen card as a high card?

That's utterly stupid.

MangoJ

jerseycounter said:
Soo I jusst stopped asking and count it as a high card.
Why would you want to do that ? Do NOT count unseen cards, especially not as "always high". Ignore them, they won't change anything (they just change penetration). Remember the approximate number of unseen cards and account for them when you do the TC conversion. If you can't remember the number of burned cards, better stick to an unbalanced count.

socal_bj said:
I generally PLAY ALL and keep the number hands played per hour high. If count is negative I use the defensive negative indexes because in double deck the re-shuffle point comes quickly. I only request to drop the shoe or wong out when it's hugely negative and I'm losing, if count is negative but I'm winning most of the hands I stay in (betting 1 unit of course).
Play all is the same as observing a full round while wonging in and out, from a rounds per hour perspective. It's just that you're wagering $0 when the count is negative. You're still getting 75-120 rounds, or whatever.

Lonesome Gambler said:
Play all is the same as observing a full round while wonging in and out, from a rounds per hour perspective. It's just that you're wagering $0 when the count is negative. You're still getting 75-120 rounds, or whatever.
Good point gambler. You do loss time waiting for a new shoe sometimes. Unless you backcount short shoes.

Sure, but he was saying he plays negative counts to get "more hands." Hands observed are just as good as hands played, and even better when you're not bleeding money.