ENHC style. Variation for 11 vs dealer 10.

Really I don’t know if people here is used to ENHC European style but does it exist using the Hi-Lo system a kind of Illustrious 18 for this style and in this case could somebody tell me where? I suppose most of the cases are the same but 10 vs 10; 11 vs As and 10 vs As variations are not applicable for ENHC style, and instead other cases could be included. I guess the main one may be 11 Vs 10 dealer. The basic strategy says: Stand, but with which index should I double?

Thanks in advance

I just play Blackjack for fun. I have no enough time/memory/personality…. for playing more seriously but I have recently discovered this fantastic forum and I enjoy a lot trying to learn how I could win just as a mathematic and intelligence challenge although I will never do it (in the long run at least).

UK-21

11v10 in ENHC games using Hi-Lo as the counting basis?

Because three cards out of 13 are not counted, and Aces and 10s have the same tag, there will never be a point where doubling your 11 against a dealer 10 will have +EV of 100% - an absolute guaranteed win. Bearing in mind that even if you pull a 10 and end up with 21 you'll still lose (and twice your wager if you doubled) if the dealer pulls an ace, I think it may be a case that there isn't a point at which it is mathematically optimal to double this hand.

As the count goes up, so does your chances of pulling a ten on your eleven. But you could also pull an ace and be stuck with a twelve. So if doubling your bet tens are good, aces are bad. For the dealer, both tens and aces are good, with the aces giving the house a guaranteed (natual) win. As in Hi-Lo there's no distinction in counting the tens and aces, you could be doubling up where the excess of high cards are mostly, or all, aces - and where the composition of the remaining deck would favour the house rather than the player.

If you were to pull an ace on a hit, and not a double, you could hit again and there's a probability that you could pull one of the uncounted 7,8,9 - to make a 19,20,21 - and this possibility will also affect the EV values between doubling and just hitting considerably I would think.

I think you could make the 11v10 play if you were using an ace side count or a count that tags aces and tens differently - in which case the index would need to be calculated. The matter of keeping an ace side count in a shoe game has been discussed at length in past threads, and the consensus is that it's of little long term value. As a casual Hi-Lo player, I don't know which alternative counting system would provide a better take on this play.

Summary - if you play ENHC games, Hi-Lo probably isn't the best counting system to use if you want to maximise your EV and return.

Sorry, I think I've rambled a bit. Also there's a lot of supposition above, and I think if you want to know for sure you'll need to dig your abacus and spreadsheets out and do the sums yourself (a not inconsiderable job if the scenario isn't already programmed into one of the sims available).

Good luck !