Envelope Problem

Meistro

There are two envelopes, one has twice the money as the other. You open the first envelope and it has $100 in it. Do you switch?

Sonny

No, just take both.

Failing that option, switch envelopes, check the amount and possibly switch back.

Failing that option, just take the first envelope and get back to the BJ tables.

ZenKinG

This is a matter of CE vs EV.

Regarding CE, you can either keep the guaranteed $100 or switch the envelope for the risk of losing $100 for the potential of $50 or $200. As you can see, this is all subjective depending on someones lifestyle and how much money they have.

Regarding EV, you could switch and net your imaginary $25 in EV that you've just generated. You can receive a potential of $50 or $200 instead of the original guaranteed $100. $125 average from both - $100 = +$25.

The answer to the question is you take the 100 every time.

100 CE > 25 in EV

Last edited:

ZenKinG

xengrifter said:
So therefore you ALWAYS insure your natural, right?
Completely different subject. In this case I would refer to EV since I get this opportunity time and time again to capitalize on EV instead of a 'one-time' deal and therefore insure only when it's in my favor to do so.

Meistro

Alright, now what about if you don't know how much is in the envelope, all you know is that the other one has either double or half and both are equally probable. Would you switch?

After switching, would you switch back? Would you keep on switching?

Meistro

Alright, I think I have a solution. Your best strategy is to switch once, no matter the amount you start with. Your gain here depends on variance. The reason why switching once is so clearly +EV is because you are never going to end up at an even result. Half the time you will win and half the time you will lose. If you switch twice and get one win and one loss you are back to where you started, no gain. But let's say you switch twice and get two wins. $100, $200, $400. +300. But what happens if you get two losses? $100, $50, $25. -75

So if you ran the game twice and one time happened to get two wins and the other time happened to get two losses you would be way ahead.

Since the law of large numbers dictates that the more trials you run the closer you get to the expected result, your best strategy is to play the game once.

Joe Mama

Badbeat said:
I would switch indefinitely and eventually stop playing when the positive variance is significant. What do I have to lose? Just $100.
What you have to lose is only the time to go back and forth.

There are only 2 envelops!
Switching indefinitely has one of two results -
a) 100,50,100,50,100 ...
or,
b)100,200,100,200,100..

There are no envelops with 25,75,150

sagefr0g

Joe Mama said:
What you have to lose is only the time to go back and forth.

exactly, and if the game can be played over and over again never switching would give you a greater edge (more earnings) than switching as you would build more and more ev over time since you would not waste time switching.

Joe Mama

Meistro said:
There are two envelopes, one has twice the money as the other. You open the first envelope and it has $100 in it. Do you switch?
This is the original post, pretty clear "there are 2 envelopes"

London Colin

London Colin said:
I surely can't be the only person to have cheated and looked up the history of this problem?
In case I am ...
Meistro said:
With the question as it is phrased above, the situation is entirely symmetrical between the envelopes. There can be no possible reason to switch; there is no information on which to base a switching decision. (As Sonny intimated.)

This is hopefully the common-sense, obvious answer that is everyone's starting point. But it's hard to pin down the flaw in the logic that seems to support switching -
ZenKinG said:
Regarding EV, you could switch and net your imaginary $25 in EV that you've just generated. You can receive a potential of $50 or $200 instead of the original guaranteed $100. $125 average from both - $100 = +$25.
It seems like a paradox, and you can begin to convince yourself that common sense must be wrong. But, for once, common sense is entirely correct.

There's a wealth of reading material on this problem and variations of it -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_envelopes_problem
I found reference no. 10 from the Wikipedia page quite helpful - https://arxiv.org/abs/1411.2823 (sections 1.3 and 2.3, in particular)

Reading that paper, the only thing I am still struggling with is the rationale behind the stated need to -
weigh the return derived from each event with the average fixed amount by which the game is played in this event
Without a proper grasp of that, I feel like I'm still leaning more on common sense than on mathematical proof.

But the interesting thing I take away from that paper is that you can make switching favourable if you recast the problem slightly -

Two envelopes are labelled A and B. An amount is placed in envelope A, and a coin is tossed to determine whether to place half or twice that amount in envelope B.

Now you have an asymmetry. If you are offered envelope A, you should ask to switch to envelope B.

sagefr0g

London Colin said:

"weigh the return derived from each event with the average fixed amount by which the game is played in this event"

Reading that paper, the only thing I am still struggling with is the rationale behind the stated need to -

just guessing here (I just skim read parts of it, & would likely never understand hardly any of it):
it seems (just like my 5th grade math teacher used to say, "correct answer, did you check your math?" me, "no teacher")
to where they are sort of getting the same answer using two rationales, their own and that of others (a sort of math check).
equating equation (1.1.1) especially the value X in the introduction going about it using their contrived rational where they state,

"In this variation the content of one of the two envelopes is revealed
to both players.
Existing literature does not appear to include a way to replace the variable X of variation 1.1 with the numerical value of the amount
that is revealed (see for example the paper of Graham Priest and Greg Restall [3], section “Opening the Envelope”).
This is exactly what we will try to achieve here. "

edit: I guess as well, their use of the weighted average shows a bit of what's going on (in an informational sense) that perhaps wasn't previously depicted. end edit

Last edited:

Meistro

Clearly switching once has a positive expectation.

Would you play a game where you pay $100 to play, and then flip a coin, where if it lands on heads up get $200 and if it lands on tails you get $50? If not, you can't be considered much of a gambler.

The paradox is that the long term expectation of constantly switching if you are given this choice with every resulting sum, is to break even, whereas with a single trial you have a positive expectation.

Optimal strategy is to switch some finite amount of times, that gives you a decent chance of an extreme result but not so many that you start to get bogged down by the law of large numbers.

Last edited:

London Colin

Meistro, I get the impression you haven't read any of the material I referenced. If you had, you ought at least to be beginning to doubt yourself by now!

Read the Wikipedia page. Read the paper I picked out from the references. And also take a look at another of the references (no. 33) - https://arxiv.org/abs/1202.4669 , which explains things a lot more clearly than anything else I've seen.