First Trip To Vegas Since Learning To Count

I'd like to start by saying that the help I've received from this board has been invaluable to me, and I am truly greatful for it all.

I went to Vegas from the 6th through the 9th of January with my girlfriend for her birthday. I played exclusively at EC (2D), though I stayed in the Cosmopolitan (amazing hotel). By the third night of the trip, I was down a total of 140 units ($700) which was the entirety of my trip bankroll.

I used the KO count with ~30 index plays with a spread of $5-25, and did mostly play all. However, I did wong in and out when I found the chance to do so without much scrutiny from the pit.

Within the first 10 or so minutes of the first night of play, I had lost 40 units ($200) from losing all my high count bets. I bought in for another hundred dollars and proceeded to win back all of my losses plus some, which, I think, got the attention of the pit. During that time, I made many high count basic strategy deviations which I'm sure didn't help my case with the pit. One memorable moment was my first ever ten split against a dealer 6. It was heads up, and the RC was +4 with my tens and the dealers six. Got dealt a ten on one and stood since the count was below the split point. Can't recall the card I was dealt for the second ten but I do remember that it was a stiff. Dealer draws to a bust and I win the hand that brought me back to even.

At this point, I noticed (at least I thought I did) several pit critters watching me which, admitedly made me a bit nervous. But I kept on with my happy ploppy act and continued to chat it up with the dealers. Thankfully, an older gentleman at the SD $25 min table was betting $500-$750 a hand and winning, which managed to draw all the attention away from me. By the time that they'd backed him off, I had lost all of my money. I wonder if that's why they didn't bother with giving me any more scrutiny?

Few things that I learned/noticed
  • I love playing heads up with a fast dealer.
  • Having people at the table betting at least 10x the table min provides excellent cover
  • EC dealers call checks play very frequently when there is a signifcant bet out on the table
  • I've never been dealt more stiffs against a dealer 7-10 at high counts than I have at the EC
  • Losing my money seemed to nullify the intial heat I got
  • Faking my emotions when winning or losing max bets was an adventure in and of itself
  • I can't concentrate when I'm hung over

I would like to chalk my losses up to bad cards, altough I can't help but think it was due to a lack of experience. Although I lost my trip bankroll, the whole trip was a good learning experience and I can't wait to go back.

Southpaw

Yes, having a ploppy at your table with eratic / large betting patterns can be quite beneficial. At this one joint I've been playing at there is this one, fat, short, balding, obnoxious ploppy that for no apparent reason will jump his bets from small red to two blacks. Recently, he lost a double-down play to a dealer that drew to 21, and proceeded to temporarily leave the table, crying "that's 21. OMG, that's 21."

My tablemates and I were suspicious that he was up to some advantage play until we noticed that he would jump to black in the ugliest of counts and that it didn't seem to correlate with aces coming out of the shoe. He sounded pretty serious too about in his talks of "not messing up the flow of the cards."

SP

Ferretnparrot said:
Somebody got backed off of the SD game? I dont understand this can somebody fill me in?
This was meant to be a report of my first trip to Vegas since learning to count and the back off I mentioned was to explain how the pit diverted their attention from me on the DD table to the gentleman on the $25 SD table.

ycming

hmm heat when winning your $400 back in vegas ?? ARe they that tight ??

Do they acutally watch people that spread between 5-25???

Ming

Dyepaintball12

Haha trying to play when you're hung over is the worst :laugh:

superyoungg said:
I'd like to start by saying that the help I've received from this board has been invaluable to me, and I am truly greatful for it all.

I went to Vegas from the 6th through the 9th of January with my girlfriend for her birthday. I played exclusively at EC (2D), though I stayed in the Cosmopolitan (amazing hotel). By the third night of the trip, I was down a total of 140 units ($700) which was the entirety of my trip bankroll.

I used the KO count with ~30 index plays with a spread of $5-25, and did mostly play all. However, I did wong in and out when I found the chance to do so without much scrutiny from the pit.

Within the first 10 or so minutes of the first night of play, I had lost 40 units ($200) from losing all my high count bets. I bought in for another hundred dollars and proceeded to win back all of my losses plus some, which, I think, got the attention of the pit. During that time, I made many high count basic strategy deviations which I'm sure didn't help my case with the pit. One memorable moment was my first ever ten split against a dealer 6. It was heads up, and the RC was +4 with my tens and the dealers six. Got dealt a ten on one and stood since the count was below the split point. Can't recall the card I was dealt for the second ten but I do remember that it was a stiff. Dealer draws to a bust and I win the hand that brought me back to even.

At this point, I noticed (at least I thought I did) several pit critters watching me which, admitedly made me a bit nervous. But I kept on with my happy ploppy act and continued to chat it up with the dealers. Thankfully, an older gentleman at the SD $25 min table was betting $500-$750 a hand and winning, which managed to draw all the attention away from me. By the time that they'd backed him off, I had lost all of my money. I wonder if that's why they didn't bother with giving me any more scrutiny?

Few things that I learned/noticed
  • I love playing heads up with a fast dealer.
  • Having people at the table betting at least 10x the table min provides excellent cover
  • EC dealers call checks play very frequently when there is a signifcant bet out on the table
  • I've never been dealt more stiffs against a dealer 7-10 at high counts than I have at the EC
  • Losing my money seemed to nullify the intial heat I got
  • Faking my emotions when winning or losing max bets was an adventure in and of itself
  • I can't concentrate when I'm hung over

I would like to chalk my losses up to bad cards, altough I can't help but think it was due to a lack of experience. Although I lost my trip bankroll, the whole trip was a good learning experience and I can't wait to go back.