HELP...friend won't believe splitting tens is bad!

I have been embroiled in an endless arguement with a friend of mine. I know from many years of playing that you should never split tens, even against a bust card. My friend vehemently believes you should against a dealer showing 2-6.

Is there any sort of mathematical/statistical paper out there somewhere that proves without a doubt that you should never split tens? I know it's a no-brainer, but I need tacit backup.

JeffreyT

LeonShuffle

Your friend will still make money by splitting 10s against a 5 or 6, just not as much as you will by standing. Just like people who follow BS and split 8s against a 10 will still lose money, just not as much as those who stand or hit.

ZMan

JeffreyT said:
.....Is there any sort of mathematical/statistical paper out there somewhere that proves without a doubt that you should never split tens?.....
YES, there is. It's Basic Strategy. Of course, it's in all the Blackjack books and many places on the net. If splitting 10's was the correct play it would be shown that way on the BS charts.

Another member put it this way....

If it was a good idea to split 10's, then if you drew a 10 you should split again. (Any pair that should be split should be split again). So, if your friend split 10's and drew another 10 , would he split them too? If the answer is yes, maybe your friend should take up another game. Is he going to keep throwing away those 20's till he gets a crappy (losing) hand?

ZMan

I found the post that I was referring to.
It was from newyorkbear, and here is what he said...

"Forgetting the math for a moment,think about this.
You split you tens,and you get another ten. If it was right to split once,it right to split again,no?
Now you get an ace. As your idea is to get as much money on the board against the 5 or 6,shouldn't you double down on the 11?
If this sounds logical to you,I suggest you take up slots.
If it doesn't,then why split the tens in the first place."

I originally posted a thread on Dec 7th titled, Splitting 10's.
You can look it up and see more replies there.
I too thought it made sense to split 10's especially vs a dealers 5 or 6.
But, Newyorkbears reply really made sense to me.